SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone:

My 1980 Orion 27 sailboat has what I term a "Natural List", in that it heals slightly to starboard when at rest. After speaking to other Orion 27 owners, who kind of chuckle when I mentioned this, this is normal due to the galley, navigation station, batteries, and fuel tank all being on the starboard side of the boat with just the water tank on the port side to counterbalance it. My PO put in some lead counter weights in various areas in an attempt to reduce this affect, but it is still noticeable when looking at the sailboat tied to its slip. My question is should I add more ballast to balance the boat out when no one is aboard, and when the water tank is full, or not worry about it since once people start using the seating areas inside, the extra human factor will balance it out? Any thoughts? How do you guys balance your PS Orions out? How critical is balancing a sailboat out port to starboard and how do you factor in passenger weight when doing this, or when provisioning?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hellosailer:

I don't have a problem with the list while under sail, or with how sailboats function in an breeze. Just thought it was curious that the boat would not sit flat on it's waterline while at a static rest, and was curious how people dealt with that and adjusted for it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts