SailNet Community banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts

·
Broad Reachin'
2,038 Posts
Im in a similar situation. Our daughter is turning three and she is becoming more mobile. We are tethering her and have lifejacket on 24/7. Even when she is below. I have been considering the possibility of netting but I just cant stand the look of it. I feel like the tether and lifejacket is enough, but maybe I am wrong. If she is attached to the boat and has lifejacket on, what more can the netting provide? Is there any alternative to the netting.
We've used both harness/tether and "netting". However, instead of the actual nets, we used a thin line zig-zagged between the toerail and the upper lifeline, which serves the same purpose but looks less cluttered. You can see our set-up in this blog post: Cruising with Kids.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Interesting. I have a slight variation.

The first time I rigged my Jackline, as you did, I had two, and had the commercial 6' tethers. It was clear that if a kid went over, it would be bad even tethered, they would be dangling possibly in the water.

So I made my Jacklines go down the center line. It's actually two running in parallel either side of the mast. They stop short of the bow.

I then made my own tethers with just a 3' piece of webbing with two loops. For under 100 pound kids, I think home made ones are as strong.

The net result, because I was able to customize my tethers,is that the kids actually have to pull slightly against the Jackline and tether to sit on the rail like your girls are in the picture. Seeing those lines under tension in that spot makes be feel much better than the 7-8' of combined Jackline and tether slack.

Three boys, 200 sq ft of fiberglass, tropical beaches
www.sailingwithkids.net

21 - 24 of 24 Posts