SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Doyle and North both keep service lofts on the Island BUT thats not going to be the lowest cost way to go so it would depend on what your looking for in face to face time

I buy mostly used BUT have the North service loft do a bunch of repiar work and like being able to go down there

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re:Sails

Any particular place for used sail, or different sources? I like the idea of having a pro shop repair/clean etc, however to save a few bucks, secondhand is probably the way to go. I'll price both out.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Another LI loft is Quantum in Port Washington.

Have you considered on online purchase? Two options are NorthSailsDirect and National Sail Supply (Rolly Tasker). At least the online quotes will give you and idea of what the price range is.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have two options/suggestions. for used sails there is a loft/used part store in Annapolis Maryland that is awesome Bacon Sails. I could not find a used sail that would fit my boat so I just broke down and had a brand new set made. Moorhouse Sailmakers did my sails and I couldn't be happier with them. I did most of the dealings over the phone and Skip is a very knowledgable guy and I came out with an excellent set of sails, he gave me a much better price then North or any of the other big boys.

As an added tip, I use him for all my sail cleaning and repairs, they do it on site and have a fast turn around, I ship UPS and it is great. Not to seem overzealous, but if you could feel how well my boat sails right now you would be too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good Advice

Thanks guys for the great advice. I'm a newbie and enjoy reading EVERYTHING on this site. See you on the Sound!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Hi Capt 'Chop

As John mentioned, Jack Wedekind is on Terryille Rd in Port Jeff Station. Super nice guy. i haven't bought any sails from him but he has repaired main main, repaired my bimini and made a new Dodger. Good work, good prices.

Some other, big name places include North (Chris Bunke is the sailmaker) and Doyle (Mark Washeim) in Huntington. I have bought 3 sails from UK Halsey in City Island. Tom Nye is the sailmaker and I think he's a great guy (but I'm prejudiced since I've bought sails from him).

You should visit Jack Wedekind and call the other guys to discuss what you want and get prices.

good luck,
barry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts