SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know, Camaraderie has left the moderation post. There are now two moderators: Jeff_H and myself.

We are now in the somewhat awkward position that we cannot read and police everything in this site. I am not sure, even with Camaraderie spending almost all his time here, that we ever could.

We may bring on another moderator. That is still up for discussion. However, at the very minimum, I would like to ask for some help here. It will help me to help you (both new and old members). Here goes:

1) If you see a post that is spam, push the REPORT POST button. It is the little red triangle with the exclamation point in the middle (upper right hand corner on your box). That will send a message to me and Jeff to delete the post and poster.

2) If you come across a post that is getting inappropriate or heated, please drop me a PM. This is critical. As I cannot read everything that happens here, I need your help to point some of them out. Please copy the link and paste it in the PM. Without that, I cannot easily find the post. AGAIN, PLEASE COPY THE LINK AND PASTE IT IN A PM. If you feel you should explain it some or you have a "side" to the story, let me know.

3) A "troll" is a person that posts on a thread/forum with the sole intent of stirring up trouble. They have no interest in sailing or our site. They simply think it is fun to make people mad. Unfortunately, we get them - a lot of them. When we do, you have every right to respond. However, please do not break the rules of our site when doing so. Also, alert me and I will jump in and send them on their way. You can alert me via the triangle or via PM. I would prefer PM in this instance. Again, please put a link to the thread.

4) Avoid off-topic if you are sensitive. In off-topic, we discuss many things that are not sailing realted. We also get into many heated conversations. We overlook things in Off-Topic that we might not elsewhere on the board.

5) If someone bothers you, you can simply put them on your ignore list. This will prevent you from seeing anything they post. I prefer this to you getting in a heated exchange with other members. Once you get into a heated exchange, the moderators have to get involved. Please note: When you put someone on ignore, you CAN see what they wrote if they are quoted by someone not on your ignore.

6) Any problems, PM me and Jeff. If you are having problems, please PM me and/or Jeff. We will look into it. This includes members that are infuriating you or that you feel are being inappropriate.

7) Act like adults. Enough said.

8) Be patient with us to delete SPAM. If someone wants to Spam at 3:00 am... I am not going to hop out of bed to run up here and delete it. Just try to avoid it until we can get around to it.

9) Mine and Jeff's word is final. Sorry guys, but it has to be. Just deal with it under the knowledge that we WILL make mistakes. We are simply going to make the best decision we can. You can PM me with your frustrations, but please do not paste them all over the open board!! All that will do is irritate me/Jeff. It is unecessary and will not win you any points. In fact, it might get you a vacation.

Thanks for your help and understanding. We will do the best we can to make this work for everyone and keep it fun and informative.

- CD

·
Registered
702 Posts
If you do need another moderator I nominate sailingdog he posts in almost everythread and helps newcomers with the rules and is never starting trouble. He is not the kind of guy that goes off on a guy when he revives a post he just kindly suggests they look at his thread about getting the most outta sailnet. I have seen him guide many newcomers and help them get started on looking through this wonderful wealth of knowledge.

·
Aquaholic
1,139 Posts
First, exceptionally well stated, CD

Second, I also thing SD would make a fine moderator, if he has the time and inclination.

Third, I think ALL of the moderators do a fine job in an thankless position

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Heh-heh, now that would be funny. On the one hand Dog's got plenty of time and knowledge to do the mod thang. On the other, he seems to have this thing about "stupid newbie questions". Oh well, I guess we can all change.

If he gets the gig - does this mean that everyone on his ignore list will be immediately banned? If so, Painkiller, we're screwed.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
:) good luck getting another moderator
I prefer a little back bone in the people/businesses I volunteer to support.

·
Registered
5,979 Posts
Not at all smacky, just a little disappointed in the positive power of free speech.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
:) good luck getting another moderator
Oh, I'm sure they'll find one eventually if they need one. If I thought about it I could probably name a nominee or two. But yeah: Not just anybody will do. Moderating a forum is kind of like tending bar, except w/o the alcohol :D

I prefer a little back bone in the people/businesses I volunteer to support.
Good flippin' luck with that! Nine-out-of-ten business' will cave nine-out-of-ten times (pulled those number out of my... the air, btw) when confronted with the possibility of litigation if it looks like the cost of defending themselves will exceed the cost of the demand. In this case it was easy math: Cave and it cost $0, fail to give in and potentially spend at least tens of thousands of dollars just to get to a point where a judge might declare the lawsuit frivolous and dismiss it. The math ain't hard on this one, Chuckles. Sorry, I don't like it, either, but they did what they had to do.

I appreciate Cam's position, but I can't fault Sailnet, either.

You want to blame somebody, blame the land-sharks that make their living off this kind of behaviour and the lawmakers somebody keeps electing that keep them in business.

Jim

·
Midwest Puddle Pirate
2,160 Posts
A few years ago I found out about a little known law in Kansas. If the state that sailnet would have been sued in has a similar law, it could have come in very handy. The law in Kansas says that if you are sued, and you 1) offer to settle out of court, 2) the plaintiff does not accept your offer, and 3) the court awards the plaintiff less than the amount of your offer, then the plaintiff is responsible for all attorney fees and court costs for BOTH parties. This law serves a few different purposes, but in this case would keep Navios from threatening to sue for something they surely can't win. It might be worth the admin looking into in case this comes up again.

In my case I was sued over a traffic accident exactly 2 years after the accident. In KS 2 years is the statute of limitations on non injury accidents, so we couldn't counter sue because it was too late to file by the time I got notice. Since the other party had such a weak case, my lawyer offered them $1. The plaintiff paid all costs.

edit: I posted to the wrong thread. should have been in the cam quit thread, but you get the point.

·
Owner, Green Bay Packers
1,000 Posts
Oh, Bite Me, CD! Every time you go and ban somebody it always seems to be just before they were about to get a good thrashing at the hands of the membership. CapeCodPhyllis would never have existed, in all her 500lb bomb glory, under such moderation. Tell the truth, Dockie, you never re-read that solar thread but you still get a kick out of Phyllis and genius bulldogs, don'tcha?

I would respectfully submit, for no particular reason other than to be contentious, that AE28 hardly needed to be banned...the membership had pretty well summarily dismissed him already.

Otherwise, thanks for the refresher post on moderation. I've made my suggestions as to future cannon fodder to Cam and you can get that input from him should you desire. I suppose I should once again express appreciation for your efforts here. I can only hope that we can continue to enjoy your moderation in the future. I know that your time is limited and so, would advise against taking up any new activities, like sailing, that would make even further demands upon it. Have an outstanding day.

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Oh now, Sway, dude, you're just mad cuz no one's nominated you for the mod post. Of course I agree that the whole banning thing is a little out of control right now. But still.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Oh, Bite Me, CD! Every time you go and ban somebody it always seems to be just before they were about to get a good thrashing at the hands of the membership. CapeCodPhyllis would never have existed, in all her 500lb bomb glory, under such moderation. Tell the truth, Dockie, you never re-read that solar thread but you still get a kick out of Phyllis and genius bulldogs, don'tcha?

I would respectfully submit, for no particular reason other than to be contentious, that AE28 hardly needed to be banned...the membership had pretty well summarily dismissed him already.

Otherwise, thanks for the refresher post on moderation. I've made my suggestions as to future cannon fodder to Cam and you can get that input from him should you desire. I suppose I should once again express appreciation for your efforts here. I can only hope that we can continue to enjoy your moderation in the future. I know that your time is limited and so, would advise against taking up any new activities, like sailing, that would make even further demands upon it. Have an outstanding day.
Sway,

CD is a moderator? :confused: :D

·
Picnic Sailor
2,122 Posts
I second that one. Giu may not last long but the hilarity factor would be worth it...:D
It would be kind of fun, mix things up a bit..............
Why don't we also throw in Smack?? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
We could rename the place BFSNet and set up a member fundraising campaign to buy a new Tartan for Ronnie to sail back from China.......:)

·
Administrator
1,887 Posts
thanks everyone - we've received roughly 20 offers from members to become moderators. We are looking through them now and the vetting process (you know that process that John McCain did not do a very good job of) takes time. I am sure we'll be adding at least two new moderators to share the load.

thanks so much.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
thanks everyone - we've received roughly 20 offers from members to become moderators.
Dear Administrator, I don't know how much experience you have at this, but, generally speaking, people that volunteer for moderating are usually not the people you want. Seriously. There are two reasons for this: 1. Unfortunately, as often as not volunteers are "cop wannabes"--wanting to do it for the fame, glory, perceived status, power-trip, what-have-you, and/or 2. They really have no idea what moderation entails.

It's also wise to consider the temperment of candidates with respect to your existing moderation team. Moderators that do not work well with one another can be a flippin' disaster for a forum.

You'd be far better-off, IMO, soliciting nominations from people whose opinions you think you can trust--who need not necessarily be moderator fodder, themselves.

FWIW.

Jim

1 - 20 of 63 Posts