SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading thru the thread about the proposed mooring field in Beaufort SC it got me to wondering. When these type of issues come up, we sure have a lot to say about them. But the only folks listening to us is us...

Moderators, is there any way that SailNet can generate an on line petition
for issues such as this?

Collectively, we really could be a lobbying group. How can you ignore a petition signed by a couple thousand people. That would be just this site, get this off the ground & other sites will follow.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
23,486 Posts
This is done, but there are two significant issues.

First, while email petitions are better than no contact, they do not get the same attention of elected officials as personal contact. Good to load them up anyway, but can be dismissed as less passionate constituents, who didn't go the extra step.

That brings me to number two. No politician cares what someone outside their jurisdiction thinks. The system would have to reliably identify you and filter you for being inside their respective districts. Obviously, national issue would not parse down, but many are local.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is done, but there are two significant issues.

First, while email petitions are better than no contact, they do not get the same attention of elected officials as personal contact. Good to load them up anyway, but can be dismissed as less passionate constituents, who didn't go the extra step.

That brings me to number two. No politician cares what someone outside their jurisdiction thinks. The system would have to reliably identify you and filter you for being inside their respective districts. Obviously, national issue would not parse down, but many are local.
You know I was very active in the jeeping/offroad community for many years & in doing so commented on many National Forest Plan Revisions. Because it was a National Forest being a local constituent did not matter, a National Forest belongs to all of us.

Keeping that in mind do not navigable waters belong to all of us? The right to anchor in navigable waters without the need to conform to policies put into place that undermine the whole premise of navigable waters is hogwash?

I don't care if some politician thinks it's only a local issue because in reality it is not. So if you feel because you're from CT or NY or wherever you're from that your voice doesn't count, you're wrong.

I just put this out here because I think it could make a difference. If people here don't think so fine. Let em just keep preaching to the choir where the complaining about being wronged serves no purpose other than to hear themselves speak.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
First, while email petitions are better than no contact, they do not get the same attention of elected officials as personal contact..
Exactly.

I took a class in community activism a while ago and we were taught that politicians place value on your opinion in this order: personal visit, phone call, non-form letter, fax (I told you it was a few years ago), email, and lastly email petitions.

They're better than nothing, but not much...

·
Captain Obvious
2,378 Posts
There are plenty of petition websites. I never hear of a forum rule against linking to one.

I am not sure how a town would look at such a petition.They probably wouldn't even look at it. You might try and find a bettter angle - and I am just making this up - but a petition asking the state or COE to stop this proposed action by the town. You'd have to look at the regs for mooring fields first obviously.

·
Registered
23,486 Posts
.....do not navigable waters belong to all of us? ......
No, they don't. The Federal Government gave the rights to regulate waters out to 3 miles to the individual States back in the 1800s. Some State's further delegated that authority to their local municipalities.

·
19,488 Posts
I don't think this is something that we mods can initiate, other than pass the suggestion up over our heads, which I'm happy to do. However getting a positive response from admin is far from assured....

·
Master Mariner
8,992 Posts
No, they don't. The Federal Government gave the rights to regulate waters out to 3 miles to the individual States back in the 1800s. Some State's further delegated that authority to their local municipalities.
The ICW is a federal waterway and within it's boundaries it has jurisdiction. When I had a 73' shrimp boat (Forest Gump style), the City of Marco Island took exception to it's being in a marina there (even though I was the dockmaster). They were so rude and nasty about the whole thing that I decided to move it to anchor on the fringes of the ICW, right by the bridge so everyone crossing the bridge couldn't help but see it. The city called the marine patrol, but were told that there was nothing they could do, beyond a safety check, as I was anchored in a federal waterway. Quite soon after that, the city (which at that time wouldn't allow residents to park their own van or pick up in their own driveway, and other assorted stupid laws) and I came to an equitable agreement, but it proved that even the FMP wouldn't mess with the waterway, on non-safety issues.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
There are plenty of 'petition' sites online, designed so anyone can put up a petition and then anyone else can 'sign' it.

Maybe you'd like them to offer special sailing sections?

Right, that's why there's no reason for Sailnet to offer petitions. Best done elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Exactly.

I took a class in community activism a while ago and we were taught that politicians place value on your opinion in this order: personal visit, phone call, non-form letter, fax (I told you it was a few years ago), email, and lastly email petitions.

They're better than nothing, but not much...
You left out the number one thing that makes them value your position, a check for a campaign contribution while you are giving your opinion to them, and the promise of another check if they embrace your opinion.

·
Administrator
5,921 Posts
Consider finding a local organization that is already involved and lend your voice (and better yet time) to their efforts?

Seven Seas Cruising Association (SSCA) has been involved in the Florida anchoring issues as well as others around the country that were brought to their attention by boaters.

Both SSCA and Chesapeake Bay Yacht Clubs Association (CBYCA), which my sail club belongs to had people meeting with local lawmakers concerning the proposed astronomical fees and permitting for rafted boats in Maryland. CBYCA is currently meeting with local officials in VA to help stop eminent domain property seizure from a historic yacht club.

Reactions: Minnewaska

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
Donna- The SN store has the mechanisms to collect money. And as they say money talks. There are some basic issues which do raise general concern. Perhaps a petition defining what the issue is, which organization is dealing with it and soliciting funds to support the relevant organization would be meaningful. There are many more power boaters than rag baggers. By doing it in this way we would be declaring what sail boaters want and what an economic force we are. We would demonstrate we SNer's are a force. For instance, I might use that harbor while cruising up/down the coast. I reason if its done there it will be done elsewhere. This has potential impact on me. I might be willing to throw a few bucks at this if I felt it might truly influence the outcome.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
outbound, how in hell is sailnet's ability to collect money going to 'talk' to Beaufort? Where none of that money is going to go, in any case?

Sailnetters are a force? Really? You think any significant number of them are going to vote in Beaufort? Pass through, anchor, or spend money in Beaufort?

I think if you ran the numbers, the politicians in Beaufort would have more reason to worry about diary farmers from Kansas trying to graze their cattle on the town green.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The response here doesn't surprise me.

This thread has had 373 views. What I see is 373 signatures on a petition being delivered to the clowns in Beaufort by one of the local boaters. Roll that into 373 phone calls or emails to your elected scumbag in Congress or the Senate, pretty soon someone's pressure point is going to be pressed.

That's how groups like the Sierra Club operate.

Although Donna has pointed out local activism, I think we are missing a golden opportunity to become something other than just a sailing forum.

When I look at land use groups like the Blue Ribbon Collation or the United 4 Wheel Drive Association the key to any land access/denial issue is organize, organize, organize, then put forth a united front.

I see the anchoring vs mooring issue as an access denial issue....

·
Registered
7,220 Posts
Think misfits got the point. If the money resulted in an ad in local paper. Your town is going to lose the commerce that comes from snow birders coming through. This is more than revenue the moorings will generate.
Think positive not omg I can do anything

1 - 15 of 15 Posts