SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
Try Bag Balm.

Yeah, it was made for cow tits, but folks in the northeast swear by it.
Frankly, smells a bit like a barn yard too (not manure, more like musty dirt), but it really works to heal damaged skin.

I'm also a fan of Eucerin Original Healing. No perfume, which I can't stand.

·
Registered
25,128 Posts
I read up on sunscreen years ago, when I was suddenly curious how this thin layer of goo possibly works to prevent radiation burns.

There are two methods and many commercial sunscreen have both.

First is by reflecting the radiation, which was traditionally done with zinc oxide. Its the old fashion white paste that you saw on noses in a 1950s beach scene. This is still used in sunscreen today, but can now be manufactured in particles so small, you don't see them.

The other method is by using chemicals that inherently absorb radiation. These have a capacity limit, beyond whether they are washed or sweated away. Once they absorb all they can, you have to reapply, which is where that recommendation comes from.. They can also be responsible for your skin feeling hot, even if you've moved to the shade and don't have sunburn. You are a radiation holding cell, until you wash it off.

Harken Derm uses no chemicals, only reflecting elements. Zinc and Titanium. I suspect they are more expensive than producing radiation absorbing chemicals.

I really like the idea, as I think our generation and those surrounding us, have been slowly poisoning ourselves with a weird slurry of chemicals that have never been tested in the random combinations found in our bloodstreams. Frankly, I'm more worried about us than the coral.

Derm is certainly crazy expensive. Roughly $40 for 3.4oz, compared with maybe $7 for 7oz of Coopertone and even less for generics. The Derm website says you need approx an ounce for a full body application. I rarely apply to the torso, but arms, legs, face, ears and neck. It sounds like a $5 to $10 per use product. That's ridiculous.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts