·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pics of the boat are still on YW. (Looks like it was a really nice boat for the money.)

It didn't have the windvane steering in the pics so the new owner must have installed it before leaving Annapolis or at least some point along the way. If he closed on the boat Monday, that would would mean a late start on Tuesday or maybe an early start Wednesday allowing time for the windvane install. So the boat is pretty much where you'd expect 24-36 hours after leaving Annapolis if he was sailing most of the time.

My bet is he stepped the leeward rail to answer natures call, slipped and that was that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was out on the night of the 2nd. A really strong front passed through from about 1500hrs-1900hrs, peaking @ about 1800. 30+ winds, 3-4 chop on the Patapsco! I remember thinking "it has to be really crazy on the bay right now ", 6 ft. waves easily. Another captain told me that in his near decade @ our job that night ranked top.five. We kept radio contact amidst the blow. Wouldv ran for shelter had I been on my sailboat. Sad. Looking @ the main sail, he may have gone forward to flake canvas and lost his hold.

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,531 Posts
This is sad. My condolences to his family.

He must be a seasoned sailer sailing solo, and may be on his way back to Australia. It reminds us that we must be careful and on guide at all time.

RIP

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
I didn't see any jacklines setup on the boat in the photos or video. If he was singlehanding in near freezing temps without clipping in, he really has made a serious error. Whenever singlehanding, especially with cold air and water temps, clipping in is a requirement IMHO.

My sympathies go out to his family, but if he didn't take all the proper precautions, especially sailing a new-to-him boat, then he's really got no one to blame but himself.

First rule of singlehanding a boat is to STAY ON THE BOAT.

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,531 Posts
It was this boat:

Irwin Citation SAIL: Cruiser/Racer-1980-for sale Annapolis MD 100444571

1980 Irwin Citation Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Based on this thread, he was a 69 old male. He told the ranger he was really tired and needed sleep. More details in here:

Aussie lost overboard virginia beach

More here:

Missing Boater Unlikely To Be Found
VIRGINIA BEACH
Virginia Marine Police planned to continue looking today for a boater who went missing this week, but officials said Friday that it's unlikely he'll be found alive.

Arno Dawson, 64, from Perth, Australia, was last seen Wednesday evening aboard his 40-foot sailboat, the Wampeter, said John Bull, a Virginia Marine Police spokesman. He moored to the observation pier at Buckroe Beach in Hampton and told authorities he was tired and would move in the morning, Bull said.

At 8:20 a.m. Thursday, a fishing crew spotted the Wampeter cruising unmanned about a quarter-mile north of Little Creek Inlet in the Chesapeake Bay. The Coast Guard and local emergency personnel launched a search for Dawson but called it off at 6 p.m.

Virginia Marine Police resumed the search Friday, focusing on the water and shoreline between the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel and the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel, Bull said. They ended their efforts Friday evening with plans to resume looking today.

Virginia Marine Police don't suspect foul play. It appears Dawson was on the boat alone, said Lt. Jack Smith, a spokesman for the Coast Guard.

Dawson is an experienced sailor who manage s a boat-building company in Australia, Bull said. He found the Wampeter, which was ported in Annapolis, Md., online, purchased it for $26,000 in December and came to the United States in the last few weeks to work on it. He went to sea Monday, planning to sail the boat home, Bull said.

"To our knowledge, he was a very experienced sailor," he said. "That's quite a long sail."

Dawson's daughter in Australia has been notified that he is missing, Bull said.

The Wampeter, a 1980s sailboat, is impounded while the Marine Police investigate. If Dawson doesn't turn up, the boat will go to his family, Bull said.

HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Man that sucks. It's weird. I've come across that boat a lot on YW and thought it looked like a pretty good deal - then saw that it sold. It's creepy seeing it again in these circumstances.

Another cautionary tale regarding single handing.

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
If he was fatigued, it is also pretty likely that he was hypothermic, since fatigue is often a symptom of hypothermia. It is hard to make good decisions and very easy to make mistakes when hypothermic or fatigued.
It was this boat:

Irwin Citation SAIL: Cruiser/Racer-1980-for sale Annapolis MD 100444571

1980 Irwin Citation Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Based on this thread, he was a 69 old male. He told the ranger he was really tired and needed sleep. More details in here:

Aussie lost overboard virginia beach

More here:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Sad story. Who knows what could have happened, he could have had a heart attack, stroke, or anything else such as gotten dizzy (common with lack of sleep) and lost balance then fell overboard. That sure is a fine looking yacht and for the 29k, the pics and info I read, it sounded like a great deal. My sympathy goes to the family involved. I guess something like this can happen to anyone, its a chance we all take being out there. All we can do, is play it safe as possible and hope for the best. Then again, just about anything we do, there is a risk involved. I may sail around the world to only come back and get killed in a car accident driving home. This said, I am one lucky to be here after my solo coastal kayaking trip turned into a nightmare back in Oct of 2009. Through determination and strong survival skills I never even knew I had, I can thankfully live to tell my story. Some are not as fortunate as I have been to tell their stories. So this is where its hard to tell what really happened out there.

·
1975 Newport 28
573 Posts
Sad story. Who knows what could have happened, he could have had a heart attack, stroke, or anything else such as gotten dizzy (common with lack of sleep) and lost balance then fell overboard. That sure is a fine looking yacht and for the 29k, the pics and info I read, it sounded like a great deal. My sympathy goes to the family involved. I guess something like this can happen to anyone, its a chance we all take being out there. All we can do, is play it safe as possible and hope for the best. Then again, just about anything we do, there is a risk involved. I may sail around the world to only come back and get killed in a car accident driving home. This said, I am one lucky to be here after my solo coastal kayaking trip turned into a nightmare back in Oct of 2009. Through determination and strong survival skills I never even knew I had, I can thankfully live to tell my story. Some are not as fortunate as I have been to tell their stories. So this is where its hard to tell what really happened out there.
Oh, NOW you've gone and done it!

What's the story behind the nightmare coastal kayaking trip of 2009? Did you put this story on line somewhere else? Can we talk you into a brief summary?

(Apologies for attempted threadjacking)

·
Registered
29 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
There is a lot of gotcha's that can happen with a new boat. Like missing or non functional ground tackle, missing safety gear, etc... This may be a lesson for all of us. Hiring a crew the first few days until you are familiar with the boat might be good.

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
Good idea, but finding good, qualified crew can be tough, especially if you're not from the area.
There is a lot of gotcha's that can happen with a new boat. Like missing or non functional ground tackle, missing safety gear, etc... This may be a lesson for all of us. Hiring a crew the first few days until you are familiar with the boat might be good.

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
One aspect of this story has makes no sense to me whatsoever, I find it very hard to believe... Of course, it could simply be an example of the mainstream media getting a particular detail wrong, which they typically do in cases like this... But, the accounts I've seen are reporting that the pier he was asked to vacate was the Buckroe Beach pier, pictured below...

How the hell would you tie a 40' sailboat to a pier like that? Or, why would you even make the attempt, when one could easily drop the hook in less than 15-20 feet of water anywhere in that vicinity?

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Good advice in general, but in this case you should not assume that he did not do that. One of the articles said he had spent four weeks refitting and testing out the boat. If true, he was well beyond the first few days.

·
Telstar 28
43,289 Posts
If that's the pier I think it is, I can't see any way of tying a smalll sailboat off on it safely...those legs are CONCRETE... and not very boat friendly.
One aspect of this story has makes no sense to me whatsoever, I find it very hard to believe... Of course, it could simply be an example of the mainstream media getting a particular detail wrong, which they typically do in cases like this... But, the accounts I've seen are reporting that the pier he was asked to vacate was the Buckroe Beach pier, pictured below...

How the hell would you tie a 40' sailboat to a pier like that? Or, why would you even make the attempt, when one could easily drop the hook in less than 15-20 feet of water anywhere in that vicinity?

·
Banned
17,467 Posts

There are lots of things that seem strange about this story. I agree that this is one of those details.

Other questions I have are little things like:

Why did he sail so hard for 24-36 hours if there were places along the way to stop and rest? What was his hurry? Where was he headed? Florida? Australia?

These news stories offer so little detail that it's maddening (or maybe I've just seen the right ones).

One thing, however, is for sure...crew sure makes a lot of sense.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
There are lots of things that seem strange about this story. I agree that this is one of those details.

Other questions I have are little things like:

Why did he sail so hard for 24-36 hours if there were places along the way to stop and rest? What was his hurry? Where was he headed? Florida? Australia?

These news stories offer so little detail that it's maddening (or maybe I've just seen the right ones).

One thing, however, is for sure...crew sure makes a lot of sense.
The 24-36 hour timeframe was conjecture on my part based on the earliest report I was aware of that reported he only bought the boat on Monday. It seems the fellow had actually completed the purchase a month earlier, so could have finished the windvane install at leisure and left anytime on Monday, which would have been a much easier trip to arrive at the point where the boat was found.

I wonder about the Buckroe Pier detail also. I had no idea what that looked like until the picture was posted. Hard to believe any experienced sailor would think that was a good place to get some rest, no matter how cold and tired he was.

Edited to add finding crew for this trip likely would have been an issue. It seems like an opportunity for prolonged misery to me. If the plan was to break the trip into legs that could be completed in a day and be docked every night with some heat, then there might have been some takers but sailing non stop or anchoring out with no heat? No Thank you!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts