SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

· Administrator
Beneteau 393
10,760 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
More to follow

PORTSMOUTH -- A man reported missing for over two months, was rescued by a ship 200 miles off the coast of North Carolina Thursday.

The man, 37-year-old Louis Jordan and the sailing vessel Angel, were initially reported missing by his family to the Coast Guard Jan. 29.

"His family is driving up to Norfolk right now and excited to see him again," Coast Guard Lt. Krystyn Pecora said.

The Coast Guard released audio of the first emotional phone call between Louis and his father, Frank Jordan.
Photos and further story

http://www.13newsnow.com/story/news/2015/04/02/coast-guard-rescue/70849184/

· Administrator
Beneteau 393
10,760 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More info

Jordan told his father, Francis, by phone that he survived by catching fish with his hands and eating them raw, Lt. Krystyn Pecora of the Coast Guard said. He also used his hands to cup and drink rain water.

In an audio clip released by the Coast Guard, the father asks the son how he is feeling.

"I'm doing fine now," Louis Jordan says.

The son tells the father he couldn't fix the boat and sail it back to South Carolina, where he departed in January.

· Banned
17,447 Posts
Reaction score
Oh I see the problem. He wasn't in a production boat:
He Was Sailing on an Alberg Boat

According to WRAL, Jordan's boat was a 35-foot sailing Aalberg vessel called Angel. Aalberg's are named for the designer, Carl Alberg, who died in 1986 having designed 47 different boats.
But his January trip may have been his first time sailing in the open ocean.

"He might sail up and down the Intercoastal Waterway, but he didn't have the experience he needed to go out into the ocean," Weeks said.
Those "very safe traditional blue water boats" will kill you.

· Administrator
Beneteau 393
10,760 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My take from the story is NOT to cut your finger nails. You never know when you might have to catch fish with your hands!

Good on him! 66 days in v early spring off Hatteras can not have been fun.

· Banned
17,447 Posts
Reaction score
Okay this just got more interesting:

Louis Jordan, 37, walks under from the Coast Guard helicopter to the Sentara Norfolk General Hospital in Norfolk, Virginia after being found on the overturned hull of a sailboat 200 miles off of the North Carolina Coast. Jordan had been missing since January.

· Registered
5,627 Posts
Reaction score
Don't forget that he was apparently only provisioned for a daysail.

· Registered
5,111 Posts
Reaction score
Based on the information so far, this one sounds a bit fishy, to me... :)

Two months after leaving SC, and he's still off Hatteras? A message in a bottle would be halfway to Ireland during that time...

He was sitting on the "overturned hull" for how long, in the North Atlantic, in one of the colder starts to spring the mid-Atlantic has seen in years, through a pretty relentless succession of gales, without becoming hypothermic?

What really caught my eye, however, is that his homeport/point of departure was Bucksport Marina... I think anyone who's been to Bucksport might catch my drift... :)

Time will tell, of course - but I have my doubts this guy was actually "at sea" for 2 months... No shortage of places one could hole up and 'disappear' for awhile along that part of the S. Carolina coast, especially in mid-winter...

I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time... :)

· Tartan 27' owner
5,238 Posts
Reaction score
Based on the information so far, this one sounds a bit fishy, to me... :)

Two months after leaving SC, and he's still off Hatteras? A message in a bottle would be halfway to Ireland during that time...
None of this really adds up.

"Aarlberg" sailboat? Really? Named for the designer Carl Arlberg? Who makes this shi† up?
Smacky and his production boats fetish. Sheesh.

· Registered
1,739 Posts
Reaction score
Oh I see the problem. He wasn't in a production boat:

Those "very safe traditional blue water boats" will kill you.
Did not kill him. However a Benehuntalina may have done him in. He no doubt had a non production raft.

· bell ringer
6,535 Posts
Reaction score
On CF there is the guy that sold him that boat and he says it wasn't in good condition. I too wonder how/why it stayed inverted.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.