SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Fuji 32 Liveaboard
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm Japanese American sailing woman working on a FUJI 32 project in San Francisco Bay, USA ;)

·
Old enough to know better
4,344 Posts
Well we will need pictures of the boat project as you go, and if you have the costume, we would appreciate some selfies.

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
One has to admire, albeit grudgingly on my part, someone who has the unmitigated gall to expect others to pay for their boat and/or the repairs. I guess begging on the interweb is the way to go for twenty something forex traders. Somehow cooler than a begging bowl in the street ?

Good luck with the fund raising nonetheless.

We need an emoticon for "shakes head in dismay".

Reactions: Tea House

·
Kynntana (Freedom 38)
977 Posts
I guess begging on the interweb is the way to go for twenty something forex traders.
The way I interpreted "trading yen on forex" was when one currency goes up and the other goes down, you make money if you guess correctly. Care to enlighten?

·
Fuji 32 Liveaboard
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
One has to admire, albeit grudgingly on my part...
Hi TD, it is something we Japanese learned from the Italians and British. First Christopher Columbus raised funds for a ship by begging the Queen of Spain for money to raise the Nina. Then Sir Francis Drake had the Golden Hinde raised by doantions of the Queen of England and many private donors. Later, Anjinsan (William Adams) rasied the Erasmus with the help of many Dutch grantors and investors. To this day, the Captain of any Australian Royal Navy Ship is not the owner, but merely the benefactor of the kind gifts of many taxed citizens. The reality in California these days is I work full-time and yet cannot pay for rent or a mortgage on land, and so I have returned to the sea. It could be my British instincts, as I am a descendant of the first English to visit Japan. And that is why I call my ship Tea House, where any and all are welcome to come aboard. They don't all come at once, and so we stay afloat :p

Thank you all for your kind wishes, when times are good we help others and when times are bad we help each other. At our land-job in general aviation, we shelter homeless aviators (many instructors now are without work). Forex trading is very much like horse racing; when you guess correctly you are rich, next month if you guess wrong- begging bowl time.

And so, like learning about heavy weather sailing firsthand, the truth is much more harsh and unforgiving than the TV story we see.

In fact, we are grateful for the many other gifts from others that we enjoy as mariners: marinas, navaids, coast guards... the list of things that a sailor does not own but uses freely is quite longer than the list of things we own and use ourselves, or own and share for the benefit of others. The sea and the wind, and a fish for dinner are also all gifts, for which we are eternally grateful, neh?

There is always a bowl of tea and miso soup in my galley for all of you, whom I am fortunate to call friends.

Chika :)

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
Hi TD, it is something we Japanese learned from the Italians and British. First Christopher Columbus raised funds for a ship by begging the Queen of Spain for money to raise the Nina. Then Sir Francis Drake had the Golden Hinde raised by doantions of the Queen of England and many private donors. Later, Anjinsan (William Adams) rasied the Erasmus with the help of many Dutch grantors and investors. To this day, the Captain of any Australian Royal Navy Ship is not the owner, but merely the benefactor of the kind gifts of many taxed citizens. The reality in California these days is I work full-time and yet cannot pay for rent or a mortgage on land, and so I have returned to the sea. It could be my British instincts, as I am a descendant of the first English to visit Japan. And that is why I call my ship Tea House, where any and all are welcome to come aboard. They don't all come at once, and so we stay afloat :p

Thank you all for your kind wishes, when times are good we help others and when times are bad we help each other. At our land-job in general aviation, we shelter homeless aviators (many instructors now are without work). Forex trading is very much like horse racing; when you guess correctly you are rich, next month if you guess wrong- begging bowl time.

And so, like learning about heavy weather sailing firsthand, the truth is much more harsh and unforgiving than the TV story we see.

In fact, we are grateful for the many other gifts from others that we enjoy as mariners: marinas, navaids, coast guards... the list of things that a sailor does not own but uses freely is quite longer than the list of things we own and use ourselves, or own and share for the benefit of others. The sea and the wind, and a fish for dinner are also all gifts, for which we are eternally grateful, neh?

There is always a bowl of tea and miso soup in my galley for all of you, whom I am fortunate to call friends.

Chika :)
Chika,

The basic difference between the likes of Columbus, Drake, Adams et al and you is that they were expected to pay back their benefactors with interest. Isabella, Elizabeth and Tokugawa all threw money into the pot in order to make money, they were not being charitable, they did not do it out of the goodness of their hearts. The RAN Commander example is simply silly. Naval personel are employees, they hardly choose where and how they spend their time on board.

Anywho ... good luck ..... I guess.

Andrew B

·
Administrator
5,915 Posts
I'm not pulling together all that Chika said in reply to TDW as I don't get how she fits into the historical context she's trying to reference, but what is clear to me now that wasn't before when I welcomed her is that she can't afford a house so she's asking for people to give her money to purchase a boat on which to live. Interesting.

And, Chika: marinas, navigation aids and the coast guard are hardly free. If you're going to try to fleece a group, you should do your homework.

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,137 Posts
I'm thinking that as a Forex trader young Chika may be either a novice or an outright dud if she cannot make ends meet.

You know I can understand it when people come into a forum and ask for assistance in building, maintaining or restoring an old boat. I can understand them asking if anyone has any equipment excess to requirements or indeed for volunteers to assist in the work. Hell, I can understand folk helping out with parts and/or labour but I cannot understand why anyone would simply send off money to and unknown quantity.

Still and all the money is not exactly flowing in.

Maybe try SA ..... the traditional welcome ritual could garner a few bucks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts