SailNet Community banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hello. I am 67 and have never sailed a boat before. My wife agrees that I need to take sailing lessons soon. We live close to Morro Bay California and they have an active sailing club. I will be posting questions in the dinghy section soon because, don't laugh, my neighbor just gave me my first sailing boat! It is an 8' Flipper from the 1960's. Should be fun. Gary
Welcome to sailing! My wife and I are both 67. When we were in our twenties/thirties we sailed a small 12' sloop and a Force Five. IMO, both required a fair amount of agility and limberness. When we retired a few years ago, we decided to give sailing another go. Our main concern was our physical ability. With that in mind, we decided to get a larger sloop to see if sailing was going to be awesome once again. Turns out we are loving it. BUT, the boom is high enough to prevent extreme bending, and we have enough boat to stay dry, unlike the old days. And, capsizing and hauling oneself out of the water is far-fetched, (fingers crossed). So, yes to lessons, wet/dry suit, and start getting that neck and back limber!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts