SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From: Sailors Rescued From Sea Had Drifted More Than 200 Miles South Of Carribean Island - wjz.com

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) - For Kirk Ezell, Christmas Day turned out to be the adventure of a lifetime. Instead of celebrating with friends and family, he found himself clinging to a life raft no bigger than a child's pool.

On Christmas day, he was two-hundred miles south of the Caribbean Island on a boat with a single crew member.

Early Christmas morning they woke up to ankle deep water inside the boat, CBS station KYW-TV reported.

That's when Ezell and his shipmate sent out an emergency beacon and began inflating a survival raft.

After loading the raft with everything they could salvage, they noticed the floor of the life raft was gone.

"Everything we had put in it had either floated away of sank. We kind of looked at each other and said, 'What do we do now?'" Ezell said.

All they could do was wait for six hours on a sinking boat hoping someone heard their SOS. Eventually, a coast guard plane spotted them.

It then dropped a new life raft and radioed for help.

A few miles away, the Captain of the Fuji Bay freighter decided to deviate from the normal course. It was a decision that may have saved Ezell from doom.

They pulled Ezell and his crew to safety and, like the rest of the ships cargo, Ezell was dropped off in Philadelphia on New Years Eve with nothing but the clothes on his back, and a heck of a story to tell.

"People in Philadelphia are very nice. Once they hear what's we've been through, they were even nicer," said Ezell.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Wouldn't you look in the raft to make sure it was complete and had a floor before dumping all your survival supplies into it??? I know I would—that's just common sense.

·
19,488 Posts
Pic from the link:

Looks like a sizable boat.. no details on what happened. The Christmas Trades seem to be in full form....

·
moderate?
1,000 Posts
Looks like they were a delivery crew. Raft floor probably was old and disintegrared at the seams with the weight. Doesn't look to me there was much they could do. Looks like a Bene or Jeanneau from the link photos/video.
Wonder what happened.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Nothing about trying to find the source of the incoming water or trying to stop the leak? An inflatable life raft with no floor? Than you load your survival stuff into a deffective raft basically just dumping it into the ocean?
I don't get these stories sometimes and I hope to never be in the same situation.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Nothing about trying to find the source of the incoming water or trying to stop the leak?
Well yeah, the article quoted one as saying they waited for six hours on a sinking boat...well, while waiting around, why not look for the source!?? :eek: Seems if it took six hours to sink maybe the source was small enough to stem...interesting. If Paul Harvey was still around....

·
Registered
286 Posts
Paul would give us "the rest of the story" and this just what we need right now. Otherwise, everything written is nothing but pure speculation. Hope we find out what happened.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Mainstream media is a poor source of information. They don't care about facts, just selling their stories.

Every story I have read in which I knew details about the real events has driven home the reality that one can't trust "the news."
....................AMEN...............

·
I'd rather be sailing
1,902 Posts
All I can say is that you can't judge these incidents without knowing all the facts. Things can get pretty dicey in bad weather, access to supplies down below can be difficult when your cabin looks like a hurricane hit it (which is why we place all our important stuff in a ditch bag right by the companionway) and panicked decisions can be made when the adrenaline rushes. When out in bad weather, thinking your life is at risk, you don't always notice the details - you make assumptions, such as your life raft floor being there.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I hope you're right. Cause the picture, which must have been taken by rescuers, doesn't show a boat about to submerge. If the water was truly "ankle deep" they over-reacted.
I've taken people off sinking boats. Fisherman thanking God to see us as the water washed over the decks, but still hadn't taken to the raft.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Mainstream media can be pretty out of it when reporting on sailing stories. I remember a story long ago in one of the sailing mags about singlehander at the end of either a Transatlantic race or a long stage of a round the world race (don't remember the exact details) being asked where he kept enough fuel for the race. He pointed out to the reporter that it was a sailing race. She shook her head uncomprehendingly and repeated her question. He requested she leave the boat.

·
Banned
711 Posts
Huh?

What happened to Paul Harvey?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Everyone have their pine plugs at the ready? Checked their hose clamps? Fixed that leaky fitting? Know where all the holes in the boat are? Checked the bilge lately?

Did they say whether the boat went under?

·
Registered
278 Posts
can't help but wonder out loud to the fact where were their watchs, if they had such a system they would have come on the problem much sooner, not to mention where was the pre trip check of all issues, as well I'm not completely sure but aren't there winter storms always happening on their planned route. Its reports like this that suggest that sailors are not prepared, and make it very hard to assure your mate that this was not the way of the norm, we would have handled such a issue different.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Well yeah, the article quoted one as saying they waited for six hours on a sinking boat...well, while waiting around, why not look for the source!?? :eek: Seems if it took six hours to sink maybe the source was small enough to stem...interesting. If Paul Harvey was still around....
I think you hit the nail on the head. I've been on more than one boat with ankle deep water and none of them sank.

·
19,488 Posts
I'm sorry... but in that video I sure don't see a boat that has "shoulder deep" water below... she looks very nearly on her lines. She's well afloat, the rig is intact.

As Labatt says we can't judge without the full story, but this looks like a waste of a pretty nice boat to me..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts