SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Proposed upper Chesapeake sail around the summer sailstice June 21/22 with a side trip before or after to the Wye House plantation near St Micheals.

Frederick Douglas was sold to and enslaved at the Wye House plantation at age 7.

The context for my interest in Douglas grows from his participation in the Irish Home Rule movement during his time in Ireland and the internationalising of the movement to free enslaved people.

Reactions: -OvO-

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
The weekend of June 21 has favorable currents down the Delaware River. If our work/kids' schedules permit, we could sail down to Bohemia Bay Yacht Harbor on Friday 6/20, then do a Sailnet event Saturday at a location within daysail distance of that - Turner Creek, Worton Creek, right at BBYH, or somewhere else.

The Admiral doesn't like the long motor through the canal, so she would probably drive down and meet us at BBYH, and sail to wherever we go the next day. If we did the event at BBYH, we could do a car trip to Wye Plantation the morning of 6/21, returning in the early afternoon to meet up with everyone. Then maybe a nice daysail on 6/22, and return to Essington on 6/23.

Or, depending on weather and winds, we could daysail 6/21 and Wye Plantation 6/22 (if they're open).

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
The weekend of June 21 has favorable currents down the Delaware River...
Oops, that might not be accurate. Need to re-check my tables when my mind is fresher.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, Sailstice/Juneteenth has been replaced on my schedule by 2014 Sailnet Rendezvous at Perryville MD on June 14.

Perryville under a different name had a significant role in the abolishionist movement so I will do at little more work on history of place. The lower Susquehanna was also a major settlement area for at least 10,000 years before European settlement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts