SailNet Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
It sure is the Solstice, too! We are going to our first ever boating event. It is an open house that the yacht club on Lake Martin, AL has every year. We figure this will give us a chance to see what we really think about all this sailing stuff. We will have the opportunity to poke around in the boats and see what they are like and then to crew with them during the race. We are both very excited!

Missy

·
baDumbumbum
1,142 Posts
They are putting water in our local lake -- first time in 11 years, woohoo -- and if the level rises far enuf by Saturday, I'll take the Buuc18 out for a spin. Going to be murky and cold. Beak-by-jowl with pelicans, too. Can't move for the damn pelicans.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It sure is the Solstice, too! We are going to our first ever boating event. It is an open house that the yacht club on Lake Martin, AL has every year. We figure this will give us a chance to see what we really think about all this sailing stuff. We will have the opportunity to poke around in the boats and see what they are like and then to crew with them during the race. We are both very excited!

Missy
I know you'll have a great time, just wade right in there and enjoy. I'm still new enough to sailing to remember my first visit to the Annapolis boat show and remember feeling like these guys were speaking another language.

Just have a good time and you'll catch on to the lingo soon enough.

Bob M, I forget how bad things got last year on a lot of lakes in the SE. I read an article last year about the marina we used for the runabout boat we had as I was growing up. The marina was essentially land locked at that point the water was so low. It looks like all the boat ramps on the lake are open now so I guess the rains are helping dig out from the drought at least a bit.

Its a good thing, I heard they were referring to Lake Lanier as Lake La-nearly Empty.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
The 23rd is our 25th wedding anniversary.
We were going to do the Europe thing - but decided to do that next year for my wife's 'special' birthday.
Instead we have decided to embark on our longest cruise yet: Midland, up the Eastern shore of Georgian Bay to North of Killbear to visit friends, then, depending on weather etc. continue on up the East side, across to Killarney, down the West side, through Tobermory and south to Cape Croker and back home. This would have us circumnavigate the top two-thirds of Georgian Bay.
If the weather and wind don't cooperate, we will cross from Franklin Island to Cabot Head and go up to Killarney on the West side.
We have two weeks for this adventure.
I think we're all set.
I'll realize I've missed that important bit of gear, information or training when I most need it.

·
Still gettin his sea legs
17 Posts
Midnight sailing for the fireworks

I was just on the phone with my friend how owns the boat me and my wife crew on... seems that after we have a nice sunny saturday afternoon sailing here as usual,we'll be enjoying a night-time sail on this Jenneau 42i to watch the fireworks at midnight

Actually... it's going to be my first time sailing anything other than a First Class 8 :)

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
We have (of course) our winter soltice. We have a great forecast for the weekend with a huge high sitting off our west coast and 15 to 20 easterlies predicted.

It's not going to be that warm but it'll be great sailing.

·
Banned
1,264 Posts
Mega-raftup - complete with a live band - a yearly solstice event here.

Happy Anniv, Fly!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts