SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
220 Posts
Reaction score
I think you have a problem with your alarm. if it didn't go off till 245 or 250 that's way to hot. I have 2 temp alarms on my boat one is factory and I don't know what temp it trips at and the other I installed to sound at 200 degrees F. This gives me a little time to get the boat out of danger before shutting off. I wouldn't let an engine go over 212 F myself.

· Registered
220 Posts
Reaction score
This is what I used.

Racing Digital Temperature Controller Sensor Engine Alarm Oil Water Gauge Meter | eBay

it reads In centigrade so I had to get used to that but I put it where I can see it while driving the boat. It doesn't have great daylight visibility.

Be sure to connect the thermocouple to the block where there is a water jacket. The ends of the head are a good place.

These meters have relays for max and min temp so you can attach a separate buzzer or light or both. they do have a built in alarm, but installed in the panel that I built the plastic cover muffled the sound enough that I decided to install another sound device.

I set mine to sound at 90 C which is around 192 F.

If you keep your engine from over heating it will pretty much last forever. Virtually all major problems these engines have can be traced back to an over heat, Head gaskets, loss of compression due to cylinder scoring, leaking sleeve seals, water in the oil, oil in the water.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.