SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!
1 - 2 of 74 Posts

· Registered
4,730 Posts
Reaction score
Only takes a moment for a wave to fill the pipe. Cured by a shut off valve at the transom and/or a drain valve open at the bottom of the system.I have both. Is it possible for a mist from a pinprick ( failing hose or fitting) is getting into crankcase ventilation

· Registered
4,730 Posts
Reaction score
I've long advocated a means of draining the system. And a dagger board type valve at the transom.I originally had a ballvalve on the bottom of the muffler,then a pullcable to the helm Then I installed a solenoid operated valve (normal open) triggered by oil pressure switch.Dumps to bilge .Takes all the guess work out. For heavy seas the stern valve is a must. Any water surging forth and back can up and over and eventually fill any standpipe causing full fill of engine.Besides, up here in the cold and damp, air blowing thru the system while shut down talks directly to which ever exhaust valve is open (hint ,, RV type black water valves are 3 ")

1 - 2 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.