SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've come to you guys in need of help, I'm from southern California and have been on the water my whole life, be it surfing, diving, or spending weeks on Catalina fishing and hiking and I've spent a lot of time on/around boats as well. I have always had a huge passion for the ocean and sailing. I'm only 18 but I've pulled together enough of a budget for a bachelor pad-esque level boat that i can use to sail the coast as well as live aboard off Catalina. If I can pull it off I have a job lined up next summer in two harbors to facilitate the endeavor. Im looking in the 27 foot range and have read plenty of books on sailing and can theoretically sail on paper but i was wondering how I can gain first hand experience sailing offshore, excluding attending a sailing school. Are there any apprentice style deckhand opportunities for long distance sailing/racing that i can get into? thanks so much for the help.

·
Catalina 400 MKII
821 Posts
You sound like me when I was younger. I"m 66 years old now and have spent all my life around boats. I was employed for 36 years as a school teacher, but I spent significant time employed in fishing and on research vessels. I've owned sailboats all my life (well, since I was 8 years old). Go for it.

Hang around docks and yacht clubs. Talk to lots of people. Smile and be willing (and offer) to help with jobs around the yard and dock. Your sailing "dance card" will soon fill up. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You sound like me when I was younger. I"m 66 years old now and have spent all my life around boats. I was employed for 36 years as a school teacher, but I spent significant time employed in fishing and on research vessels. I've owned sailboats all my life (well, since I was 8 years old). Go for it.

Hang around docks and yacht clubs. Talk to lots of people. Smile and be willing (and offer) to help with jobs around the yard and dock. Your sailing "dance card" will soon fill up. Good luck.
thanks or the advice, that's what i plan on doing most of this summer. hopefully i can live a life like yours, i feel like i was meant to be on the ocean. cheers :)

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
The So Cal Club racing season starts in January goes thur June. there are a few races in the summer and fall. beer can week night races spring to end of summer. check at the yacht clubs there is always someone that needs crew.when you get a position to crew, show up early and be the last one to leave still rinsing the boat off for the owner. first time bring your lunch and a few snacks to share. if the owner feeds you great. it is still good to share some snacks with the crew. I started crewing on big boats when I was 15. Sailed on some very great boats. many times I would have to sail the last half of the around Catalina Race single handed because the rest of the crew had partaken a bit to much.

·
Banned
96 Posts
Read Latitude 38 . They always talk about how to be accepted as crew . They also have a crew list page . They have a rally called the Baja HaHa & and the Pacific Puddle Jump , start researching it now and be ready for next year. As for me , I get nervous when someone asks me if they can crew and I've never seen them before . For me it would be like picking up a hitch hiker . A YC is your answer , if you don't want join one with a club house there are ones called paper clubs , try Little Ships Fleet of SoCal . Good luck see you at 2 Harbors !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.