SailNet Community banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Well my plans got stuffed. Had a family medical issue come up that requires my presence. Sounds like this will he at least 2 months. Perhaps more.

·
Registered
25,129 Posts
I’m very much done with crew, completely disgusted.
I get it. Crew are exhausting in a way. They are like employees, not distant vendors. They need to be managed, both in setting expectations and keeping them motivated. Morale is the Captain's job. When the latter takes more work than you get back, it sucks.

I've never had crew for more than a few hours that I didn't already know. I test them out to see how we get along and see how they do. Then I trust them to come longer, or deliver the boat without me. One became a very close friend after a while, but unfortunately passed away a handful of years ago. Finding the diamond in the rough takes time and effort.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Things change for many so called crew when they’re hundreds of miles off shore, issues that can’t be predicted on short day sails or harbor hops. They become overly obsessed with safety and communications with home. Nearly everyone today lives on their smartphone and can’t be at peace without the constant contact and worry. My wife and I go cruising to get away from all that nonsense, most can’t live without it today.

·
Registered
25,129 Posts
They become overly obsessed with safety and communications with home.
I'm fine with safety, as long as it isn't contrived to avoid duty. Comm with home is generational. If we want the youngins, that is a price of admission.

·
Registered
160 Posts
You’d be OK with crew constantly complaining that they don’t feel safe on your well-prepared Oyster? It’s not just the young people obsessed with constant communications these days, people of all ages can’t stop playing with their phones which causes their anxiety to run amok. When was the last time you were 500 miles or more off-shore with crew?

·
Registered
1987 Cape Dory MKII hull #3
583 Posts
You’d be OK with crew constantly complaining that they don’t feel safe on your well-prepared boat? It’s not just the young people obsessed with constant communications these days. Head off-shore a few hundred miles with crew, you’ll see.
======================================
A crew applicant turned me down because my boat does not have a generator? (Cape Dory 30)
Happy to single hand my boat.!!!!
Like they say on the movies
"fuggedaboutit"

·
Registered
160 Posts
Falmouth and English Harbor, Antigua have only about 1/4 the boats and tourists that would be considered normal for this time of year. Come here and you’ll have the entire island to yourself. Very nice.

Covid tests for Salty Dawgs who want to return to the US, $75 by a nice MD who makes group house calls to English Harbor. Says he hasn’t had a test come back positive in over four weeks.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
As noted elsewhere I have been delayed ri Deb/March. Just exchanged email with router. He says sometimes a winter weather window opens so keep up hope.
We shall see.
Too many variables now.

·
Administrator
8,370 Posts
Where will you be located in February and March? Just wondering if we’ll be on the same island; I’ll be around Antigua for February.
We will be in Antigua sometime between January and mid-February.
I need to haul out on March 1st in SXM to fly to Australia.

I have an added difficulty of needing dental work in SXM sometime in January.... that could throw and additional spanner in the calendar!

So we will meet you either here or there before March 1st :)

Mark

·
Registered
160 Posts
I will most likely be located in the Falmouth anchorage just off the beach for most of February taking care of a few boat projects, Jolly Harbor for the end of January. English Harbor gets too crowded.

See you then.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts