SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Salty Dawg Weather

3K views 33 replies 8 participants last post by  MarkofSeaLife 
#1 ·
Anyone here following the Salty Dawg Rally? Did they leave Nov. 1 and how are they making out?

It seems the current weather off the US East coast is rather frightful for the next few days.

#3 ·
==============================
I was registered with them and chickened out, got my money back
Felt they were taking a big chance as November continues to be a wild card, in my humble opinion.
As now just returned from my boat after checking and doubling lines as we have a fierce northern storm (Pine Knoll Shores, NC)
So far the score is, those that decided on the Bahamas "safer route" inside the Gulf Stream got clobbered, those that crossed the stream earlier were rewarded with more benign conditions, the bigger group heading for Antigua doing quite well and hope the current conditions remain for a safe passage, they will be sailing for over 8 days?not too bad.

#4 ·
I've had much better weather going from Newport to Bermuda and on to the VI in early October than at any other time of the year. Bermuda is only 650 miles from Newport, so it's only a day or so beyond a good forecast. From Bermuda to the VI is a pretty easy trip if you pick the right weather window.
Now, leaving Glen Cove, NY in late January after removing 2' of snow off the decks is another story entirely.
Water Boat Cloud Naval architecture Liquid

#5 · (Edited)
We departed from Newport, RI and sailed almost a straight line to San Juan beginning October 31 and arriving November 9th. No wind above 20 knots, no waves/swells above 4ft and absolutely no rain, not even a single thunderstorm. We heard quite a few Salty Dawgs on the VHF radio along the way. Picking a good weather window is key, nobody can tell you when it’s okay to go, not even a weather service. The decision needs to be yours alone.

#7 ·
We departed from Newport, RI and sailed almost a straight line to San Juan beginning October 31 and arriving November 9th. No wind above 20 knots, no waves/swells above 4ft and absolutely no rain, not even a single thunderstorm.

Wow! Sounds like a great trip.

I love sailing on the dark night sky. Love a full moon too, but love a dark sky to see the stars and bio-luminescence.

Mark

#8 ·
I have a “dawg” in this fight. I am planning to sail Chesapeake to St Martin shortly after Nov. 24 so I have been watching the weather.

Earlier this week the OceanPredictionCenter had, off Hatteras, 27’ seas with a 9 second period.

Hell NO!!!!

But w there are a few good days to get out of the bay and past the stream.

What makes this more interesting is the damn reauirement for a PCR test, makes it hard to just mosey down the bay and wait for a window, need to stay on the boat.

Doable, but proveable???

If anyone is looking to make a passage let me know. So far I am solo. Plans are firming up now, finally. Leaving from Cambridge, MD.

I have tried CrewFinder with little luck. A number of responses; all but one were either from far away (as far as Sydney, OZ WTF?) or not vaccinated. And the one guy who seemed interested went quiet. Don’t balme him, I dont want to be alone with some like me either.

#9 ·
I have a “dawg” in this fight. I am planning to sail Chesapeake to St Martin shortly after Nov. 24 so I have been watching the weather.

Earlier this week the OceanPredictionCenter had, off Hatteras, 27’ seas with a 9 second period.

I have tried CrewFinder with little luck.
=============================
may try
have mixed results, much like crewfinder

#12 · (Edited)
Just sail down to Puerto Rico, the entire process couldn’t be any easier. No check in, quarantine or covid testing for US citizens On US boats. I figure the US officials watched our progress sailing down on AIS, then nothing to do upon arrival, not even ROAM. Diesel fuel $3,55 per gallon at the dock.

Fantastic weather and friendly people.

#14 · (Edited)
I never look at noonsite, usually full of wrong or dated information. The port police were on the super yacht next to us conducting a complete scheduled safety inspection yesterday, and didn’t come over to even ask for our papers or vaccination cards. AIS is a handy tool for the authorities and for us interstate/international cruisers.

#15 ·
St. Croix was just as easy as Puerto Rico, except that I was required to obtain a negative covid pcr antigen test in Puerto Rico prior to departure even though I have a vaccination card. Not a big deal, as the lab woman came right to the marina in her mobile van, cost $100, but significantly more than the €10 we paid in Greece for the same test.

#17 ·
I tried crew finder. Lots were not vaccinated, which reads “brain dead” in my book. Not a comment on the vaccine but on the crew to seek to travel without vaccination. Of course that will be an issue, at least in the world not under your rock.

#18 · (Edited)
Check in was easy at Jolly Harbor, Antigua. From now on its only going to be close friends and family aboard, Everyone else seems to want to be fed and paid these days for taking a pleasure cruise and doing no work. I’m very much done with crew, completely disgusted. I do all the boat prep, Auto does all the steering, and all crew does is complain about everything.

#23 ·
Things change for many so called crew when they’re hundreds of miles off shore, issues that can’t be predicted on short day sails or harbor hops. They become overly obsessed with safety and communications with home. Nearly everyone today lives on their smartphone and can’t be at peace without the constant contact and worry. My wife and I go cruising to get away from all that nonsense, most can’t live without it today.

#26 · (Edited)
You’d be OK with crew constantly complaining that they don’t feel safe on your well-prepared Oyster? It’s not just the young people obsessed with constant communications these days, people of all ages can’t stop playing with their phones which causes their anxiety to run amok. When was the last time you were 500 miles or more off-shore with crew?

#27 · (Edited)
You’d be OK with crew constantly complaining that they don’t feel safe on your well-prepared boat? It’s not just the young people obsessed with constant communications these days. Head off-shore a few hundred miles with crew, you’ll see.
======================================
A crew applicant turned me down because my boat does not have a generator? (Cape Dory 30)
Happy to single hand my boat.!!!!
Like they say on the movies
"fuggedaboutit"

#28 · (Edited)
Falmouth and English Harbor, Antigua have only about 1/4 the boats and tourists that would be considered normal for this time of year. Come here and you’ll have the entire island to yourself. Very nice.

Covid tests for Salty Dawgs who want to return to the US, $75 by a nice MD who makes group house calls to English Harbor. Says he hasn’t had a test come back positive in over four weeks.

#29 ·
As noted elsewhere I have been delayed ri Deb/March. Just exchanged email with router. He says sometimes a winter weather window opens so keep up hope.
We shall see.
Too many variables now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.