SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I am new to sail net and new to "small" boat sailing. I have been in the Navy for 11 years now so I know the lingo and rules. I have been on real small boats a bit (IE Lasers) so I know the basics. My wife and I have recently made a big decision to get into liveaboads. We have a five year old and hope to soon have another. I will not be doing anything crazy like circumnavigation. I want to stay in shore and on the east coast. Currently i am stationed in Guam but will be transferring to Chesapeake bay area in September. Within a year after that I will be transfering to Maine. We are interested in living onboard full time when we get to Maine. It will be easy for me to stay on the east coast for the rest of my career so in shore will be possible. Other than that I know very little about exact size/speed/depth/height that we want to get. I do know that we are interested in spending up to 50K to get us into our first boat. Please give me some insight on what I should be looking at and what my plan of action and milestones should be to achieve this goal. I also want to mention that I am a mechanic by trade but we will have little time to do work on our craft. Thank you!
~Ramsey

·
Registered
545 Posts
Tech to Mech, I am no sailor, no boat either, collected info, Sailboat data.com, sail boat listings, yachtworld, ebay sailboats, look and think. Then when you can, walk the docks and look at interiors. Books Don Casey's complete illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manuel, the people on this forum have multiple years experience at sailing, read the threads, then ask for guidance. Some of the people on this forum aren't sweetness and light; but they are mostly for real. I am land locked in NM can't even walk the docks good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts