SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
We are looking to add 125’ 5\8 of anchor line to our 200’ of 3\8 chain. The 5\8 line will fit in our gypsy.
We want some line that is as playable as possible and still be 3 strand.
We have two choices.

• Sampson anchor line
  • Marlow anchor line

We have seen and felt the Sampson but it would need to be ordered here from the chandlery here in Paradise Village Marina in Puerto Vallarta Mexico. It is nice and seems what we would want. Getting the line in before we set sail south for the season is a problem.

The Marlow we can get from another chandlery that is not that close. We have not gone to feel and touch it and have looked it up on the web. The picture of course does not tell us anything and we have not found any good descriptions of it. We could even have it delivered but are reluctant unless we can see and feel it first.

Does anyone know the pros and cons of the two if there is any?
Thanks,
Chip

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
I have never really noticed a difference in them out of the box, and I could never remember what I had down the road. But frankly I got rid of three strand years ago for plaited instead. It's easier on the windlass, easier on the hands, stores better, falls easier, ect.

It is a little more expensive (10%?) but so much nicer to deal with.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi,
This is chain to rode so the line goes through the gypsy.
Lewmar the windlass we have said not to use plat line through the gypsy. We do have 6 plat for the stern windlass and anchor which rides over the drum. Also we have spare 8 plat? or so for the Bruce 45lb spare anchor for the drum side of our Lewmar H3 windless. On our gypsy side of our Lewmar H3 windless we have 3\8 chain and want to add 125' of line so 3 strand it needs to be.

Wen went to La Cruz to look at the Marlow and the 5\8 was real stiff and we decided against it. The Sampson will be our choice.
Thank you,
Chip

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
I'm not sure which Samson line, nor which Marlow line you are referring to. Samson Proset would be my choice, ideal for use with a windlass.

I don't think Marlow produces a nylon line suitable for anchoring, everything I have seen is for control lines with minimal stretch - halyards, sheets, etc. All in dacron or something more exotic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts