SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Quirky
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We'll be relocating soon and a possibility is San Diego.
Is sailing in San Diego require shallow draft or anything like that? What does it cost there to own a boat (registration, etc)? I've seen some of the slip pricing so I don't need that. I'd be selling what I have and would want to get an Islander 36 if that matters. I saw something about having to pay property tax on it?

Also, I looked up what Hunter 260 goes for out there and didn't see any for sale. Wondering if I'd get more for it by selling it here in N. Texas?

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
go to dmv with pink slip pay based on bill of sale purchase value(I always go low FWIW) get your tags and cf numbers in the mail shortly after

if you want an islander a bit further south you can have mine...jajaja

peace

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
In general shallow draft is less desirable in So. Calif., really not much need.
Owner of a boat berthed in the state on Jan. 1 will be assessed property tax annually by the county, about 1 percent of the boat's value.
You will be required to pay "use tax" on purchase, it is at the same rate as "sales tax" 8 to 10 percent depending on county.

·
Quirky
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In general shallow draft is less desirable in So. Calif., really not much need.
Owner of a boat berthed in the state on Jan. 1 will be assessed property tax annually by the county, about 1 percent of the boat's value.
You will be required to pay "use tax" on purchase, it is at the same rate as "sales tax" 8 to 10 percent depending on county.
The "use tax" is a one time thing at purchase, right? Not annual?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Correct, use tax is only once, if state registered DMV will collect when you change ownership, if a documented vessel you pay State Franchise Tax Board, or they will eventually find you and bill you.

·
Quirky
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How do they assess value? By purchase price or do they do some sort of market value type deal?

Thanks for your answers.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Bill of sale for use tax, and usually for the property tax, however on my last boat I paid use tax on the purchase price of $75,000. Later received property tax bill with assessed value of $85,000, called and they said they assessed at NADA value. Took a couple months of protests and copies of the survey and sale papers to get it reduced to $73,000. That was Orange County, it varies by county.
BTW the DMV will take your word for stuff, the Franchise Tax Board will contact the boat's seller and investigate if they think you are low balling them.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
you can agree with the seller...thats the whole point of a bill of sale...if the seller wants to say he sold for more for example thats sketchy but I have bought and sold all my boats with full agreement on seller...

in california the seller has to relinquish rights to the boat at time of sale so he is free so to speak and it states there the selling price...

so when you go to dmv you are doing everything right.

ps and not to play devils advocate what happens when you but a boat that is a project? or that has been abandoned? who is the judge of that? thats why the the bill of sale is so important...you can state as many facts and clauses on it and include as many as is, or issues or gear or equipment included in the bill of sale as you want.

just my cents...

in california its a simple process really...I wouldnt get coast guard numbers unless I wanted to cruise overseas which is what I did back then...

peace

·
Registered
21 Posts
Shallow draft in San Diego isn't necessary, but stay out of the bay south of the bridge. There are deep water channels there to allow large ships to dock there but it goes from 40' to 4' very fast out of the channel. Another area boats go aground is a sand bar on the N end of Shelter island. It is marked with buoys but occasionally someone will cut inside and pay the price. Great sailing in the bay, but can get crowded in the afternoon. Lots of navy activity to see too.

·
Quirky
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shallow draft in San Diego isn't necessary, but stay out of the bay south of the bridge. There are deep water channels there to allow large ships to dock there but it goes from 40' to 4' very fast out of the channel. Another area boats go aground is a sand bar on the N end of Shelter island. It is marked with buoys but occasionally someone will cut inside and pay the price. Great sailing in the bay, but can get crowded in the afternoon. Lots of navy activity to see too.
Also good info as I'm coming from lake sailing to ocean.

Someone mentioned coast guard numbers. So you don't have to register with coast guard? :confused:

·
Registered
898 Posts
A few years ago, when I had just bought a boat, the clerk at the counter said "The DMV never appraises a boats value." She was hinting to me that I could write in any value I wanted. Do what you want with this information...

The other funny thing that happened was the seller had forgotten to sign some second place on the form, don't recall what. This same clerk says "You need to get the seller to sign right here." I say "The seller is hundreds of miles away." She replies, nodding towards the waiting area "Just go over there and have him sign it right there and come back to me." Heh. I love the California DMV.

Reactions: Sublime

·
Registered
186 Posts
Also good info as I'm coming from lake sailing to ocean.

Someone mentioned coast guard numbers. So you don't have to register with coast guard? :confused:
Boats can be documented with the Coast Guard or registered with state (CF numbers in California). Crazy Fish is documented.

California charges sales tax on the sale of the boat and an annual property tax.
Annual property tax is based on the County accessors valuation of the boat.
Tax is ~1% but varies with the county. My 1989 Crealock 37 assesed and taxed value is currently around $60,000. The boat was purchased new in 1989 for $150,000 including sales tax. The San Diego County accessor representatives generally walk the docks in January. If the boat leaves the state it is a good idea to send a certified mail to the Accessor office stating that the boat has left California and will not be returning to the state so that the Accessor office does not include the boat in its annual billings. Some counties are more aggressive then others in trying to tax boats which have departed California.

Regards
Marc Hall
Crazy Fish - Maintaining, Upgrading and Sailing a Crealock 37 | SV Crazy Fish

·
Quirky
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DON"T do IT! It will be the worst experience in your lifetime!

Join AAA if you need to, well worth the membership fee. If you value your time any more than about twenty five cents and hour the fee will be well worth it. The roadside assistance is a bonus.

Just sayin'
I'm glad there's roadside assistance. I might need it for any flats on the way to catalina island.

For serious though, how are the wind patterns there? Mostly light? Awesome? Meh?

·
snake charmer, cat herder
2,677 Posts
variable. in summer light and variable. in winter strong and nasty with a big rain factor. cold. then lighter and variable with sunshine lollypops and roses.
in summer and spring, it is good.
winter only lasts a short time.

the alleged use tax is actually sales tax at a value of 8.75 percent of purchase price. (san diego)as explained to me by bureau of equalization

property tax is yearly

·
Registered
678 Posts
Capttb is right. The weathermen get bored and have to manufacture excitement. A rainstorm gets discussed for several days before it comes and then extensively post-mortemed afterwards. Very rarely do you get surprised by a storm (a corollary to that is that a rainstorm in SD is equal to a snowstorm anywhere else as far as traffic accidents go). Very nice sailing conditions in spring/summer. Winter is often nice too. I lived there 10 years & have lots of memories of sailing in January/February in great weather.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you liveaboard I presume you don't pay the sales tax. Of those who have done this (purchased a vessel in CA and lived on it) what sort of proof did you need to provide to show that you are living aboard? This would be for a documented vessel ie. no trip to the DMV.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.