SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning,
My wife and I are considering liveaboard on a sailboat in San Diego. We currently reside in VA and own a 28’ Rampage (selling) and a 16’ Boston Whaler runabout / sport. My wife is a Naval officer and I work remotely from home. We would sell our home here when we move that way in August 2021. She would be working on Coronado and that’s where we want to live for multiple reasons. Looking for suggestions/tips/advice. A few things:

1. Looks like MWR on Coronado is our only possibility but they are temporary closed due to COVID.
2. We have a 6 year old and new baby due in Dec! So by August 2021 a 7 year old and an 8 month baby.
3. Budget for sailboat is $100-$200k. We want 3 cabins 2 heads. Like the Beneateau look.
4. Want something easy to sail / lower maintenance
5. Should we consider catamarans?
6. Are we crazy for even considering? After 2 year tour we would probably moor her in the Keys somewhere as we ultimately want to retire down that way.
7. What apprx monthly cost are we looking at? We prob make around $400k combined annually. She will get a housing allowance of about $3,500 per month as well which would go towards the slip fee etc.
Thanks!

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,519 Posts
Unless you are allowed onto the military bases marina on Coronado as a live aboard, it would likely take you a few years to even be offered a liveaboard slip. There are long waiting lists for these limited resources.

Your likely best option is to look for a boat for sale with liveaboard grandfathered to the new owner. The two people I know living aboard are single men sneaking aboard based on financial necessity.

I would also guess having a growing family would make your endeavor even harder.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Call the people at South coast yachts in San Diego, Beneteau dealer, very good people. talk to them about what you are thinking, they should have some ideas

1 - 3 of 3 Posts