SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
First, this forum is awesome. So much good information that I spend lots of time at It and still feels that is so much to cover. That said...
I got the sailing bug about 1 year ago, and all I can think about now is sailing. I know basics of sailing - certified US sailor - but no experience in the blue water, overnight passages, etc.
Right now I am getting ready - financially - to buy a sail boat and sail it to Brazil. One year from now, I should have about 20k reserved to buy a boat. I believe that I should spend about 50% of that on buying the boat, and use the rest for refit and unseen expenses.
My questions:
1- Is it realistic to spend a total of 20k (including boat and refit)to buy a boat to do the trip?
2- Is sailing down to panama, crossing the channel then sailing through the coast until I reach Brazil a good plan?

I have another 1 million questions but will save them for later.

Thank you all

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
Hello,
First, this forum is awesome. So much good information that I spend lots of time at It and still feels that is so much to cover. That said...
I got the sailing bug about 1 year ago, and all I can think about now is sailing. I know basics of sailing - certified US sailor - but no experience in the blue water, overnight passages, etc.
Welcome to Sailnet. I'd highly recommend you read this POST to help you get the most out of sailnet. I'd also recommend you work your way up to doing bluewater passages... remember, most of the boats you're going to be looking at are far tougher than you are, and unless you work your way up, you won't be likely to do well. Several people who went off on bluewater passages with little experience ended up cutting their trips short. One example is Heather Neill, who was in a Flicka, which is a solid small bluewater boat, but returned only a few days after leaving Florida.

Right now I am getting ready - financially - to buy a sail boat and sail it to Brazil. One year from now, I should have about 20k reserved to buy a boat. I believe that I should spend about 50% of that on buying the boat, and use the rest for refit and unseen expenses.
My questions:
1- Is it realistic to spend a total of 20k (including boat and refit)to buy a boat to do the trip?
It depends a lot on what boat you're looking at. If you're looking at a smaller bluewater capable boat, like one of the <35' ones on James Baldwin's Boat List. Finding a bluewater capable boat for $10,000 that is in reasonably good condition will not be easy.

2- Is sailing down to panama, crossing the channel then sailing through the coast until I reach Brazil a good plan?

I have another 1 million questions but will save them for later.

Thank you all
A Panama canal crossing is probably a much better idea than rounding The Horn. :D And probably the best way to get to Brazil, unless you want to do a circumnavigation.

·
Swab
825 Posts
Finding a bluewater capable boat for $10,000 that is in reasonably good condition will not be easy.
LINK

This is definitely a buyer's market. I don't think it would be that tough to find a solid older boat that would be suitable. One just sold from the American Vega Association web site that would have needed only groceries and charts to set off on an extended blue-water cruise. The price was just $12000.

latest videos

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Bralanda,

Perhaps you should consider posting your 2 questions in different posts. The one concerning which boat to buy will get you a lot of answers and opinions. Concerning your second question, whether it is a good plan to sail from Panama to Brazil, I can offer a comment or two. Visiting Brazil is always a good idea :). It has a beautiful coastline with great sailing and cruising grounds, fantastic people and a vibrant culture. However, getting to Brazil from Panama will be a little complicated as you will be facing a strong countercurrent and headwinds as you try to go south from Venezuela around the bulge of South America. Read James Baldwin's article on a delivery he did from Venezuela to Brazil. He chose the 'long route' and crossed most of the Atlantic to get favourable winds to return to Brazil. The article is in 3 parts on his site. Here is part one:

Atom Voyages | Back to Brazil - Part One by James Baldwin

At the bottom of the page you can go to part 2. The article should give you an idea of what you're up against. So I ask you: Is your heart set on Brazil or would another tropical paradise do? From Panama you have a lot of nearby options that are also very lovely (San Blas, Caribbean etc.). If you're really set on Brazil then you'll have to weigh the coastal (uphill) route vs. the Atlantic route Baldwin takes. If you have any questions specifically about Brazil, I'd be happy to try to answer them. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
You might want to consider buying a boat in Floriduh. To beat along the South American coastline will take a very seaworthy boat, and a very tough skipper, and I do mean TOUGH.

If you do buy a boat on the west coast. Then look in Mexico for a boat divorced from the dream. Some people get that far, and reaqlize it's not for them. Even in the upper Sea of Cortez boats can be found.....i2f

1 - 5 of 5 Posts