SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I am a long time reader, first time poster on sail net.

I am considering doing a sailing trip as crew on a Alberg 35 from San Diego to Honolulu. We want to leave on February 20th. With that said, I am wondering how to best plan for weather and estimate the time it would take. Should we sail north or south or west or what to catch the best weather? Is there a good weather website to find this information for this time period. (I am not the captain and he may already know this but I am trying to see how I would plan the trip if I were going solo)

I am in the military and I am taking leave from 18 Feb- 17 March (26 days) but I have to work on 18 March so I need to fly from Honolulu back to Texas on the 17th.

I know that passage times vary from about 17 days to 30 or more. Just trying to figure out if I should go for it :)

What do you guys think? Good or bad time to attempt this?

I have an RYA coastal skipper certification and an ASA basic certification but not a whole lot of knots under my belt.

Patrick

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The captain is experienced. He is an instructor or training to be an instructor right now. Also he is a Naval Academy grad with experience on navy ships (not sure if that translates to sailing vessels but it's something). I know he has sailed extensively in the Pacific near Japan on a bristol 32 but I don't know what his off shore sailing experience is. He told me he expects it to take 20 days. He is going to continue on the trip all the way to Japan via Hawaii and Guam. I don't know if he has any other crew yet. I don't know what his sail inventory is. The boat has an auto helm.

Looking at the Pilot Chart... July is definitely preferable.

I am not able to read weather charts but I will take a look at the NOAA website later.

I am dying to get some sailing in and ready to pull the trigger on these plane tickets to California but I'm worried about getting back in time. So yes, you are right, I am looking for validation. The captain is going to call me tonight to go over more details. I'll ask about the route, weather forecasts, other crew, etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Technically I would be AWOL but if I tell them the risks of being late and keep in contact they will not classify me as AWOL.(it is a pain in the ass to do the AWOL paperwork believe it or not) AWOL soldiers are not arrested immediately. A warrant for their arrest is initiated after 30 days of being AWOL, assuming the commander does the paperwork on time.

If I am late and they know the reason then I will just get a slap on the wrist and they will charge me leave days and probably chew my ass. Nothing too bad but I just don't like being "that guy".

I think I will request more days than I need and if I make it back I will sign in early and not be charged all the days I requested. I am rationing the leave that I have built up because I am getting out of the military in a few months and would like to take it all at the end so that I can still get paid while I transition into my new job.

Patrick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.