SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Wish I never found SN!
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Small flying fish and squid had to be picked off the deck each morning

Squalls surrounding the boat you never knew which one would move towards the boat

Doldrums (not oil but reflections of the clouds)

·
never convicted
482 Posts
Great pics, Simon. And congrats on a successful crossing. What was your sleep schedule like on this cruise?

·
Wish I never found SN!
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Land Ho. First sighting of land Hiva Oa

Dinner

This Cruise ship came in so on went the good shirt and shorts and I joined them on the island tour. There was no head count.

Even here TV rules

Time to leave the harbour

·
Wish I never found SN!
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great pics, Simon. And congrats on a successful crossing. What was your sleep schedule like on this cruise?
When I needed sleep, I set the radar alarm. I got good regular sleep except if there was traffic or squalls as these set off the alarm and there was no point sleeping then.

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Simon-

Beautiful photos... ;) How did the Dutchman Boom Brake work out on the trip for you??

·
Wish I never found SN!
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi SD. even though on one occasion it ripped a block off the toe rail in a down wind jibe I would recomend one to everyone. Maybe should not be used as a preventer a lighter line would have saved the block and the break would have slowed the boom down.

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
Need better backing plates for the blocks. :)

Hi SD. even though on one occasion it ripped a block off the toe rail in a down wind jibe I would recomend one to everyone. Maybe should not be used as a preventer a lighter line would have saved the block and the break would have slowed the boom down.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Nice post Simon, Thanks and congratulations on your successful journey.

·
Wish I never found SN!
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice, looking forward to more. How long to punch through the doldrums?
Charles, I had to deal with the doldrums twice north of 00,00.00 I believe at the point I crossed it, was at its thinnest at about 80 miles; so about 10hrs at 6 knots the current runs at about 1.5 knots.

·
19,485 Posts
Beautiful pictures, Simon, that was one hell of a trip you did there, memories for a lifetime, I'm sure.

Keep 'em comin'!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.