SailNet Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I used an orbital grinder and went at our ugly looking prop. Now the prop looks shiny with a few small copper circles, where the zinc must have come off.

I did one blade at a time, and I got better at doing it as I went, so by the 3rd blade I was able to get to the shiny brass while taking much less of the metal. Part of it was learning how deep the copper circles went and being less aggressive on later blades and not go ing after them as much.

I'm thinking, yikes! Did I just put my prop out of balance? And if so, do I have to send it somewhere to get balanced, or does it not matter?

·
Belliure 41'
136 Posts
If you took off a lot of metal from one blade and almost none from another than yes, it is now out of balance. If you run it I’m sure you will chew up your cutlass bearing or your stuffing box. Send it to Hale Propeller in Old Saybrook CT. They will balance it to your motor/transmission combination. In the future you might want to consider something WAY less abrasive such as emery paper or 120 grit sand paper.

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
What possessed you to use an ORBITAL GRINDER to clean off the prop? A wire brush wheel would have done a decent job with far less damage potential.

·
Belliure 41'
136 Posts
HA HA HA, I was not going to say that but I did my very best to imply it. Nothing like using a cannon to kill a fly!

·
Old as Dirt!
3,489 Posts
Bene--

People with a little experience can usually avoid making dumb mistakes. On the other hand, one only gains experience by making dumb mistakes.

Unless you really ground the heck out of the blades you may not feel much difference in the running gear although the cutlass bearing will likely wear a little more quickly. Most folding blade props are not particularly well balanced anyway and adjust somewhat by blade angle. If you've a fixed blade prop and it feels "off", a prop-shop can probably grind and re-balance it at little cost.

Live'n learn. Next time use a little RydLyme or a similar product to remove the calcium deposits. You might also try "Speed Prop" or a similar dressing that limits growth on the prop.

Good luck...

s/v HyLyte

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Correction, I used a sander (an orbital sander) on the prop, not a grinder. I was amazed at how easily it took off the metal.

It's a 3-bladed, fixed prop.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Hey,

I have no idea if you prop is dezincified or not.

I doubt the prop is now out of balance. After the boat has been in the water for a period of time, you'll get barnacles and other growth, and they don't seriously unbalance the prop.

Good luck,
Barry

·
Registered
928 Posts
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Hey,

I have no idea if you prop is dezincified or not.

I doubt the prop is now out of balance. After the boat has been in the water for a period of time, you'll get barnacles and other growth, and they don't seriously unbalance the prop.

Good luck,
Barry

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
How much work is it to remove the prop? If you can take it off you can quite easily see if it is seriously unbalanced - stick it on a metal or even a wooden pole and spin it a couple of times, marking the bottom blade to find the heaviest point. If you get the same point 10 times out of 10 and if you then put that blade at 90 degrees and it rotates back down to the bottom then you have a serious imbalance.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How much work is it to remove the prop? If you can take it off you can quite easily see if it is seriously unbalanced - stick it on a metal or even a wooden pole and spin it a couple of times, marking the bottom blade to find the heaviest point. If you get the same point 10 times out of 10 and if you then put that blade at 90 degrees and it rotates back down to the bottom then you have a serious imbalance.
Nice method. Could it be this easy? I know there's dynamic and static balancing. Without going there (because I really can't), that's a good method. Now to find a big enough wrench....

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Funny conversation just now on the phone with my next door neighbors. She answered the phone and was calling out to her husband that I had a 2 inch nut and needed to borrow a big wrench. Great people, funny game of telephone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts