SailNet Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Whitewater to Seawater
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are planning to relocate from DC to the West Coast (Lake Tahoe) and would love to keep a 40 footer in the Santa Barbara area to sail the Channel Islands. In my initial research, it sounds as if Santa Barbara is the place to be but there is a waiting list for slips at the marina. Next would be either Oxnard or Ventura. Is any of the two better than the other as far as marina convenience and surroundings? We would be spending periods of two weeks on the boat here and there and would enjoy walking/biking to town, jog on the beach/shore line....

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
From what I understand, slips are sold by slip holders in Santa Barbara. Doubt you are going to live long enough to get a slip there unless you buy one and they don't go cheap. If your intent is to cruise the Channel Islands, Ventura and Oxnard are just as convenient a starting point.

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,530 Posts
I went to College in SB but learned to sail in Ventura as I could not afford a club in Santa Barbara at the time. As Roverhi said you would likely have to buy a boat with a slip in SB. There was a nice Tayana 48 for sale there a month ago.

Ventura and Oxnard will likely be cheaper and easier to approach. It used to be blue collar town 30 years ago, it is getting pretty fancy there as well, but nothing compares to Santa Barbara. The marina in SB is really nice.

·
Registered
769 Posts
From what I saw of Channel Islands Harbor (Oxnard) it seemed pretty nice. I bought my boat there as it was in Anchor's Weigh Boatyard. There was easy access, not much traffic. One of the old chandleries that was there closed though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
walking/biking to town, jog on the beach/shore line....
If you live on Hollywood beach, you can walk to your boat the beach and a few restaurants, bars.
Best of all it's the closest harbor to the islands, they can be seen from the beach. The wind there is calm until late morning so usually get a late start, if you want to sail all the way and drop the hook before dark.
Anacapa Island is only fifteen miles away.

·
Whitewater to Seawater
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Where is Hollywood Beach? I cant seem to find it on the map. Is that south of Oxnard?

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,530 Posts
CHANNEL ISLANDS HARBOR
Is the best harbor in the world.
I am sure the people of Monaco or some other snooty Euro yacht location would have something to say about your opinion.:grin

When I could not afford SB prices it was CI Harbor where I joined a sailing club. 22 foot boats were free during the week. It was an hour + drive but worth it, I sailed my butt off for I think $40/month. As I remember it, it was kind of dead as far as facilities and amenities but was perfect for me back then, I am sure things have changed. If I was to have a boat on the coast that I wanted to spend a few months a year on Ventura or Oxnard would be on my short list. You get the Socal weather without the Socal prices and not all the Socal hype.

If I wanted more of a Monaco vibe with Monaco prices SB would be the place. If I was to live year around onboard SB would be high on my list. As I told my buddy that lives there, between Flood and Fire Season it is a really pretty place to be.

·
Whitewater to Seawater
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And another question.... looking at the great climate, low humidity and cool nights, I supposed AIr Con is not really needed on boats in that area?

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,530 Posts
And another question.... looking at the great climate, low humidity and cool nights, I supposed AIr Con is not really needed on boats in that area?
On a rare occasion, it might get warm during the day like into the 80s or even 90s on the coast. It will make up for this inconvenience by also getting into the 80s in January when your friends back home are shoveling their car out of the recent blizzard.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Don't bother. Yes we have 10 or 11 months of beautiful sailing weather but Don't come it's just you wouldn't like it. it's true the islands are a short three for our day Sail Away but they are uninhabited there is no day life there is no nightlife it's just quiet time you would hate it. Okay it's less expensive than Santa Barbara but still Marina Del Rey that's where you want to go that's where the action's at. When you anchor out all you hear are the whales breaching the seals barking and you end up having fresh fish for dinner like I said it's terrible please go south you'll like it much more I promise.
Brad 🙂

·
Registered
769 Posts
A/C is not necessary. If you have shade and a fan with good ventilation, that's all you need. Anacapa is only 15 miles away? I'm going to start looking at slips in CI!
Edit- I just looked at the commute to San Fernando Valley and..... Nope.

·
Whitewater to Seawater
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
So no one said anything about Ventura... Is Oxnard definitely the better choice between the two? Now, looking at prevailing winds which seem to be west, south-west. Setting off from Oxnard/Ventura is probably beating all the way there and dead run on the way back which with low winds and sea swells must somewhat get boring. Sailing to the islands from Santa Barbara would likely put you on a more pleasing beach reach point both ways.. Am I mistaken?

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,530 Posts
Best of all it's the closest harbor to the islands, they can be seen from the beach. The wind there is calm until late morning so usually get a late start, if you want to sail all the way and drop the hook before dark.
Anacapa Island is only fifteen miles away.
Without checking logistics and relying on ancient information in my faulty memory. Ventura/Oxnard is likely a windward beat to Santa Cruz. It is a reach from Santa Barbara. Anacapa has no good anchorages for overnight.

If your goal is to cruise to the Northern Channel Islands often and easily, Santa Barbara is the best location. If you want cheaper easier to obtain slips in a more laid back town, Ventura County Harbors are your go-to choices.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts