SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a beautiful '65 Islander 32 that is kept in the northern section of the Santa Cruz Harbor. I was just informed by the Harbormaster that they have no estimate of when the Santa Cruz harbor entrance will be dredged enough to make it navigable.

I'm trying to decide if I should go ahead and have her hauled and trucked up to the SFB where I will ultimately be keeping her or wait it out and hope they get the harbor entrance opened in a relatively timely manner.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions welcome.
 

Attachments

·
Cruiser
Joined
·
258 Posts
Congratulations on your new boat, Phil!

I'm not familiar with your local situation in the channel, but it looks like you have some 5.7 ft tides coming up with the next full moon... and Sailboat data says your boat draws 4.5 ft max... If the channel isn't baring at low tides, can you squeak out in those conditions?

Cheers!

Bill
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good point. I would love to hear from some Santa Cruz locals if this might actually be possible. I sure wouldn't want to break my new boat!
 

·
Cruiser
Joined
·
258 Posts
Good point. I would love to hear from some Santa Cruz locals if this might actually be possible. I sure wouldn't want to break my new boat!
Hi Phil,

We have to scout unknown shallow channels leading to secluded anchorages fairly often [we draw 6 ft 3 in] We scout using our dinghy and a hand-held depth sounder. A lead line would work just as well, and doesn't need batteries...

Time your scouting expeditions to coincide with benign conditions, desired tide and currents, etc. so you don't get into trouble in your dink... [Trouble is usually current or Skookumchuck related...]

In case this is something you might consider. [I like to learn from locals, but confirmation/decision is still my responsibility...]

Cheers!

Bill
 

·
Cruiser
Joined
·
258 Posts
I just purchased a beautiful '65 Islander 32 that is kept in the northern section of the Santa Cruz Harbor. I was just informed by the Harbormaster that they have no estimate of when the Santa Cruz harbor entrance will be dredged enough to make it navigable.

I'm trying to decide if I should go ahead and have her hauled and trucked up to the SFB where I will ultimately be keeping her or wait it out and hope they get the harbor entrance opened in a relatively timely manner.

Thoughts, comments, suggestions welcome.
Phil,

I forgot to mention in my first post you harbor website includes a 'current' sounding document...

Those soundings may help you decide on possible paths- including if you decide to do a scouting trip...

Another thing I forgot to mention is I chose to only answer your base question- ignoring all the other considerations such as whether you have determined that you and the boat are up to an offshore transit, weather considerations, etc.

Best wishes with your new boat!

Cheers!

Bill
 

·
Kynntana (Freedom 38)
Joined
·
977 Posts
Wow, she is a beauty!

Good suggestion from Bill on timing this for the next King Tide (Jan 21-22), provided the offshore conditions settle down. It's pretty gnarly out there right now. Perhaps you can pay a visit to the Santa Cruz Yacht Club and buy a knowledgeable skipper a beer or two. There are lots of good, experienced racers/sailors in the area, some of whom come into their harbor under full sail with breakers rolling through. It is a crazy place during normal times! If you find someone local, they can also walk you over to a good vantage spot and show you EXACTLY what they mean by, "hug that breakwater here" or "make sure you are centered in the channel there."

When you are able to make your transit, stop in at Half Moon Bay Yacht Club, and then I'll buy YOU a beer so I can hear the rest of the story! Good luck :)
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top