SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody!

I'm new to this forum thing, but I have a question regarding Santana 22 boat plans. I have a 1974 Santana 22. It's been a great boat thus far and now I've run into an issue that I'm trying to work around. I'm hoping to be able to fix this without taking the boat out of the water at the moment.

In the cockpit of the boat there is a piece of wood that fits around the rudder shaft as it goes through the cockpit. The corners of this wood have rotted away and so the bolts no longer hold it in place. This allows the block of wood to shift side-to-side. Unfortunately, it is also causing the rudder shaft to move laterally, as well. I need to replace the piece of wood. However, I need to remove everything from the rudder shaft to slide the old piece off and the new piece on. There is one bolt that I'm worried about on the shaft. I have a hard time believing that it is the only thing holding the rudder in place, but I want to make sure. If I remove this bolt, will I drop my rudder out of the boat? I have attached a photo (hopefully it works) and the bolt is the rusty one you can see nearest the floor of the cockpit. I will also have to remove the tiller, but I think that won't be an issue...unless you know better than me.

Any ideas? I have a hard time believe that this one little bolt is the lifeblood of holding the rudder in place, but I want to be sure.

Thanks,
nbaisley

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chris,

That's a good idea. I've considered that, but was slightly worried about the small amount of wood lost by the sawblade cutting down the middle. I could put in some filler in the gap, especially if it is a temporary fix until I pull it out of the water. I may be able to design the cut so that I don't have too worry about the loss of wood as well.

I appreciate the feedback!

--Nick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.