SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
My first post. I am thinking about purchasing a 1980 Santana 30, the last year of production of that model, I believe. I have read the thread about the Santana 30-30, but don't know how much it applies to the earlier 30. Is the 30 a heavier boat? How does it sail? Does it need lots of crew when the wind comes up? I don't want to have to sail with a crew of 4 while just cruising. I am looking for a cruising boat that sails well. We may do some midweek "white sail" racing, but racing is not the goal. I do not sail on either coast and the winds here in Montana are light to moderate in the summer.
Thoughts? Observations?
Thanks,
Gary

·
19,489 Posts
I think the 30-30 is a more 'fun boat'.. but if you're cruising you should probably get on board an example of each and see which interior you like better.

I like the way the 30-30 sails, it's a cleaner, newer non IOR influenced design. Pretty nice cockpit; the interior seemed a bit tight but we're used to bigger boats. I've not been on the older 30. It will have a smaller cockpit so if daysailing is the priority over weekending that might be something to consider.

Welcome to Sailnet!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts