SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Sailboat Reboot
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious if anyone uses Saran Wrap as a waterproofing protection. I use ziploc bags and vacuum bags for most stuff but I have a few things I would like to wrap up that don't really work e.g. larger books, my backup computer. These are things that are on the boat but that I might use once every six months or so. I would love to store them away in a locker but am concerned they might get damp.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
44, no matter how much Saran you use that's still not a moisture-proof seal. It will slow things down, better than nothing, but I'd recommend "space bags" or the larger ziplock bags, which are available in HUGE size for things like game storage. (Game as in bulk meat, not entertainment.) And of course, they're much easier to open and re-use.

·
Owl
273 Posts
Or a "dry bag" or a waterproof locker (Pelican, eg) with a cloth bag full of dried rice, if you want something more durable that won't get a hole worn in it from sliding around.

·
Sailboat Reboot
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
44, no matter how much Saran you use that's still not a moisture-proof seal. It will slow things down, better than nothing, but I'd recommend "space bags" or the larger ziplock bags, which are available in HUGE size for things like game storage. (Game as in bulk meat, not entertainment.) And of course, they're much easier to open and re-use.
I did purchase about 40 packs of silica gel today. Not only to store things, but just to have one in each drawer etc. It gets very damp, particularly with the fog hitting just about every morning.

Do you know a good source for game storage size bags?

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I did purchase about 40 packs of silica gel today. Not only to store things, but just to have one in each drawer etc. It gets very damp, particularly with the fog hitting just about every morning.

Do you know a good source for game storage size bags?

Try Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops. Both have online ordering.

·
Registered
21,812 Posts
Space bags are available in sizes large enough store a body. Combine with a cordless portable shop vac and you should be able to conveniently damp proof anything.

I have small to medium bags that we use during the season to store clean towels and sheets. Jumbo bags will fit sheets, two pillows, bed pad, comforter and towels from a stateroom for the winter.

However, they are not extremely durable and pin leaks form often. We have many spares.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts