SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any experience with Saroca boats? These are multi-use boats that can be equipped for sailing, canoeing, sculling or mounted with a small outboard.

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,457 Posts
Actually, these are soft chine boats. They are a very interesting concept. While they do not excel at any of the things that the Saroca is supposed to do (paddle, row, sail or motor) when compared to specialized canoes, shells, power or sailboats, it does all of these things reasonably well. They are a very appealing design that were built with high quality materials, good workmanship and clever engineering.

The company was being raffled off a year or so ago so I have no idea whether the boats are still in production and if the quality had changed. They sold a surprising large number of these boats over the years so you might find a good used one. My guess is that a lot of these boats were sold to people with big asperations who would have moved on to more specialized boats.

Jeff

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone had any experience with Saroca boats? These are multi-use boats that can be equipped for sailing, canoeing, sculling or mounted with a small outboard.
I own one for sale!

Very FUN to sail on lakes here in NH. Never seen salt water.

PM me......

·
Registered
3 Posts
Saroca

I own one for sale!

Very FUN to sail on lakes here in NH. Never seen salt water.

PM me......

I would like to get hold of you (PM) to see if you still have the Saroca, but the rules say I must have more than five posts. so this makes two...

If anyone else has a Saroca please let me know.
Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Saroca

Dan,

I sold mine about a month ago, having had it in my garage about 10 years!
I had a few regrets, but had no trailer or any place along shore to keep it.
Great multi-purpose craft!

George

·
Registered
996 Posts
Saroca in NH Dan- you still interested?

I would like to get hold of you (PM) to see if you still have the Saroca, but the rules say I must have more than five posts. so this makes two...

If anyone else has a Saroca please let me know.
Thanks
Dan
Dan- I have one in southern NH if you are still interested

John

jpsplus at a o l

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looking for Saroca for sale/sail

John in NH

Am looking for a Saroca, ideally with trailer. What are its particulars and price you have in mind?

John on the Hudson

·
Registered
996 Posts
Saroca in NH Dan- you still interested?

Hi John on Hudson,

I'll get some pics up tomorrow- Trailer possible- the one I have is from another boat.

The Saroca is white/White set up for sailing. According to the Manufacturer, it was built in 1993.

Oars, engine mount etc available at sarocaboats.com

i haven't fixed a price yet- It was purchased a couple of years ago for $3000, including oars that have been used on another project. I have a leaky centerboard trunk to fix and an in the process of getting that taken care of. I have an outboard for it but no mount- $90 from Saroca.

make me an offer...

Also, as we live on a lake, it is easy to take for a spin. we are about 2 hours form Albany and hartford CT on the NH/MA border-

John in NH...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Saroca Pics?

John in NH, Hi

Thnks for getting back to me....Look forward to pics, tell me about the centerboard trunk leak.
Is Trailer a good or just OK fit for this boat?

Coming to NH for sail/pick up not a problem.

Enjoy your 4th.
Thanks,

John on Hudson

·
Registered
996 Posts
Have Saroca for sale in Western AZ

Includes sail, rowing package (sliding seat, 10' ash oars & oarlocks), 3 paddles, (2) 7' oars & oarlocks, 2 dagger boards, lightweight elec. trolling motor with homemade 'quick change' motor mount, fore & aft compartment covers, all-aluminum trailer with spare. Everything is in like-new condition. Anyone interested in the boat or wants to talk to a Saroca owner can call me at:
(928) 486-8851. Must comment on the rowing aspect since my Saroca replaced my rowing shell. The Saroca, while not as fast, can be used in rougher water. The oarlocks being higher keep the oars from catching in every little wind-wave or boat wake wave. If you row for excercise and its not 'glass' water keeping your rhythm is worth the loss of speed; IMO.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm looking for a little sailboat to take camping, that can also be rowed if need be in calm conditions. I'm thinking of taking it up to Georgian Bay and exploring all those coves and inlets, pulling it up on shore at night and camping. So my main use would be sailing, but rowing as a no-wind alternative means of propulsion. Would the Saroca be a good option here, or are there better sailing vessels (like the lemonseed) that would be better?

·
Registered
18 Posts
How does she sail? I'm interested in a sailboat that I can row if the wind dies, not a row boat that "kind of" sails when the wind comes up..... It sounds like it's a great rowboat, what about the sailing aspect. Ideally, I'm interested in using it as a beachcombing camping boat, one that I can sail from beach to beach and pull up on shore at night, with enough cargo room for a week of camping. Any thoughts? thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have owned a SAROCA for about a year now and have sailed it in the mouth of the Piscataqua River about 25 times (I live in Kittery Point, ME) . I've experienced wind between light & variable up to about 12 knots. 12 knots is all but I can bear when it comes to making a jibe or running down wind with this craft.

Her beam is not to be desired from a sailboat stand point, just a bit too narrow (understandable for the multipurpose vessel she is). She also has a soft chine which is also only existent in the center of the hull. This makes her buoyancy "sweet spot" on a good lean quite narrow and a bit precarious.

Her sail is very large, very fast boat and loads of fun! Picture a Lazer sailing set up, that is very close to what she has. Windy days are a blast but lets say that I've had the "pucker factor" more than once and after a couple windy days, my wife now watches me from the shoreline.

The sculling package is great and my wife and I take the boat out at least 3 days a week in the warm seasons (about 35 times so far). Great craft for 2 people.

I don't want to scare you off with the sailing aspects, I'm accustomed to racing dinghy's (420s / FJs) and so I'm being critical when it comes to sailing hull design. She fairs well and I would highly recommend this for sailing in freshwater scenarios. The sail can be reefed (original design) newer ones have a mast which is a 3 piece and can be used with just 2 pieces for less performance but more stability.

She has lots of room and is very light. I'll attach some pictures later, got to go right now.

Cheers!

·
Cabin boy
141 Posts
Looks like a neat little boat. Thanks for following up. Is yours one of the ones mentioned for sale earlier in the thread?

·
Registered
11 Posts
geoh posted earlier in this thread with one for sale,,, I'm pretty sure geoh is the person I bought her from. I came across it on Craigslist though, didn't know what a SAROCA was before that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
New Jersey: saroca available

I have a saroca that is in good shape, but is missing the mast and boom. (I picked it up at a garage sale, but never received the mast.) It has a trailer and all other parts such as motor mount, centerboard, sail, etc. I can't store it any longer so I'm willing to let it go for $100 or best offer.

·
Registered
521 Posts
How heavy are these boats? Are they more like a canoe with a sail, or more of a sailboat that can be used as a canoe. I have never seen one of them before. I dont need one, but the more I look at one I like it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
It's much heavier than than a typical canoe. So I guess I would say it's more of a sailboat that can be used as a canoe. I've owned one for about 10 years but haven't used it since I bought my "big" boat a few years ago. My daughters were asking me about getting it out of the garage this summer and actually using it. It really does everything reasonably well, but as was stated in earlier posts it does not do anything exceptionally well. Overall, I would say it is a good boat.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts