SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently live in the Atlanta area and am planning to purchase a 38' sailboat. I want to slip/dry dock it in the Savannah/Hilton Head area. My plans are to continue working here in Atlanta for the next 2-3 years gaining experience sailing. After that I would like to cruise the Caribbean during the non-hurricane season and dry dock during the hurricane season eventually circumnavigating. I have checked on marinas in the Savannah/Hilton Head area and it seems very expensive. ($500 to $700 per month with dry-dock about the same maybe a little less) Are there any other options? Does anyone know of any more affordable Marinas?

Craig

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
Did you try Skull Creek Marina (north end of Hilton Head)? Also, sailhog might know if there's any openings where he is at (just slips, no facilities).

And welcome to Sailnet.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked Skull Creek and they quoted me $495/mo. Also I checked a place called Sail Harbor in Savannah. About the same price. I guess that is just what it cost to slip a sailboat.

Craig

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
If you don't mind going up river a ways, they are putting in a new marina at Port Royal, which is few hours from Port Royal Sound.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Not sure about moorings down there BUT up here it is $1600 with launch service Vs $5000 at the dock for a 6 month season

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
Bertola,
I live on Hilton Head Island and keep a 30' boat in a slip just south of Skull Creek Marina. It's definitely the best deal going in the area. The length limit at mine dock is 34', but I believe you can park a 38' at the dock the adjacent dock just to our north. I think you could probably get it for $250-$300, although I'm not absolutely sure. I know of one that's for sale there for $25,000.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts