SailNet Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SAYC challenges for the cup.

Check out the AC anarchy section of SA and enjoy.

·
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So no one cares that an internet forum formed a yacht club, commodore, vice pres, logos, bugies and other swag in about 24 hours times just to challenge the current cup holder? This is history in the making...

Here's the press release.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SAN DIEGO, CA (17 December 2008) – The Sailing Anarchy Yacht Club (SAYC) today confirmed its entry in the 33rd America's Cup to be contested in the waters off Valencia, Spain in 2010 or 2011. Known as Anarchy Challenge, SAYC's racing syndicate will draw upon the immense resources of the world's most popular sailing website, SailingAnarchy.com, the brain child of San Diego-based sailor Scot Tempesta.

Although international in flavor, Anarchy Challenge will compete under the Stars & Stripes, and will be the only US participant in a field of up to 21 challengers which also entered the event before the December 15th entry deadline. As of Wednesday morning, Tempesta said that SAYC was still anxiously awaiting confirmation of its formal entry from the Société Nautique de Genève, the current America's Cup Defender.

"We are proud to represent the United States and our loyal members in this iconic sporting contest," said Mr. Tempesta, who is also the Commodore of SAYC. “Had our members not stepped up to the plate with their support and interest, it would have been the first time in the event's 157-year history that there was no US participation in the America's Cup. We could not stand by and let that happen."

Under the stewardship of team CEO and SAYC Vice Commodore Alan Block, Anarchy Challenge has been working hard to assemble its media relations, campaign management, and sponsorship development team. “There is no doubt that this is the first America's Cup Challenge to represent an on-line community, for we don't just represent the SAYC members, but the 30,000 person-strong membership and the one million monthly readers of the Sailing Anarchy site as well,” Block explained. “Our members are mobilizing for this exciting challenge, and we're already starting to leverage this massively talented pool of talented engineers, designers, and sailors as we begin to assemble the administrative and competitive parts of our team.”

There is no clear consensus in the yachting community on whether the 33rd America's Cup contemplated by the 21 challengers will actually happen, as the prestigious event remains embroiled in a bitter custody dispute in the New York courts between Swiss Biotech magnate Ernesto Bertarelli and Oracle founder Larry Ellison. Tempesta remains positive on the future of the event: “When these billionaires are done bickering, we'll still be here, our members itching for some Cup racing” he said. “It's not easy to field a team for the America's Cup, but the Anarchists are nothing if not resourceful.”

The oldest trophy in sport, the America's Cup has long been a challenge between rich industrialists, and has been filled with intrigue and conflict almost since its inception. Anarchy Challenge looks to broaden the appeal of the event in the United States, where interest in yacht racing remains nearly nonexistent despite many achievements by US sailors in the America's Cup, the pinnacle of yachting competition. “For a century and a half, the Cup has been a shiny bauble to be battled over by the super wealthy - on the water, in the court, and in the press - yet no one in the general public pays any attention except in salty little enclaves like Newport and Annapolis” said Block. “We think it's time the common man had access to the America's Cup – and if there's one thing that Sailing Anarchy represents, it's the common man.”

The team will be funded through a combination of donations, private and commercial investment, with Anarchy Challenge bringing a huge advantage to potential sponsors of Cup teams – a fan base that includes the millions of current readers of Sailing Anarchy. Anarchy Challenge's commercial team will commence discussions and negotiations with potential investors and sponsors during the coming months.

“The one thing we caution is not to dismiss us,” said Tempesta, when asked of the seriousness of Anarchy Challenge. “We may not be well-funded, and we're somewhat disorganized, but we're a hell of a lot more likely to be on the starting line than some of the teams that have entered. And we'll be here long after most of them are forgotten.”

·
Thanks Courtney.
3,954 Posts
Anyone else been watching the developements over at SA on their bid to be considered as a AC challenger? I think it is a stroke of brilliance what they are trying to pull-off. Wish they had hatched the plan a bit sooner to have helped get the pieces together sooner. My hat is off to them for walking the walk for sailors everywhere.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
The problem is they're not only going to meet billionaires in the court room, they're going to be out on the water as well.

And if you want to compete against them, you're going need a damn serious cheque book!! Does the Anarchy Challenge have $75m at their disposal? You can't win this trophy sailing an O'Day (whatever that is :) ).

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
I wish them nothing but the best of luck. I hope they can pull it off.
Go Team SA

·
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anyone even READ the RACING forum? I cut n' pasted the press release when it came out. They've already been denied b/c EB doesn't like SA. Something about not playing nice. All is not lost, if they open back up after BMWO's court case, then SA will re-apply. And continue to do so for years to come. I find this fascinating. They put this together in one day, and pulled resources from over 30,000 members. There didn't seem to be any doubt that SA could get the funds together for something like this. They're already marketing all kinds of swag to generate money for the cause. Most of it will poke fun at EB.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Guys, hang on, I'm going to merge the two threads. I think I'll put it in the "General Discussion" forum for better visibility.

Interesting topic!!

EDIT: Okay, it's done. A little continuity is lost, but folks will figure it out.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Dang, a moderator that's being pro-active... I'll have to write this one down in the calendar... :)
Guys, hang on, I'm going to merge the two threads. I think I'll put it in the "General Discussion" forum for better visibility.

Interesting topic!!

EDIT: Okay, it's done. A little continuity is lost, but folks will figure it out.

·
Thanks Courtney.
3,954 Posts
I find this fascinating. They put this together in one day, and pulled resources from over 30,000 members.

I totally agree! This could prove a historic event in the evolution of the cup. SAYC can certainly get hands on the money, or at least the "resources" to contend for the cup. The swag is peanuts and isn't going to do much more tan help with marketing and drumming up interest. (I'll buy!) There are a number of possible scenarios that could make this work.

They were denied entry on their first try, but still some wiggle room and grounds for appeal as the cup is governed by US law and their denial may or maynot be legal.

·
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They were denied entry on their first try, but still some wiggle room and grounds for appeal as the cup is governed by US law and their denial may or maynot be legal.
Only problem with appeals is that they cost money. Entry fee is 50k, and a good start for a campaign is around 20m. Yes, that's 20 million US dollars. Full on it'll take somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 million plus. But, as they said on SA, if you package it right, people will pay to see it happen. I agree, the swag stuff is small time, but its easy publicity, and anyone can buy it/support the cause. Not to mention, for a small fee, you can join the SAYC. I don't know what the requirements for GGYC are, but they're probably a little more elitist than SA's. :p Everyone loves an underdog, and to recruit members from SA to build, sponsor, and crew an AC boat is unheard of, and makes for an incredible story.

Basically, the ACM didn't know how to handle the application, it came in on the deadline date with incomplete documentation. However, so did 3 other teams and they were granted an extension. So they do have a reason to fight for entry, but I think they're waiting on the ruling in NY with BMWO.

·
Thanks Courtney.
3,954 Posts
Yes there is a lot of money that would need to be raised to put on a credible campaign. However, most teams are formed and THEN start putting their marketing together and trying to raise funds. SA is already a marketing company with existing sponsors that would likely be willing to get the ball rolling for them even before they tap their mambership.

If GGYC loses in court, the options available for a SAYC campaign open WAY up. As they discussed, the option of a BMW-O/Anarchy Challenge is not that far fetched. (which IMO is what Ernie is afraid of).

·
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If GGYC loses in court, the options available for a SAYC campaign open WAY up. As they discussed, the option of a BMW-O/Anarchy Challenge is not that far fetched. (which IMO is what Ernie is afraid of).
I couldn't agree more. Talk about a stiff backhand, all that time and money, just to have BMWO in the starting circle anyway. That would be too cool. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
That is awsome

If they actually ever get in that would be a series of races I'd want to see in person.

Dammit is it summer yet..... /me counts down the days until splash.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts