SailNet Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be doing bluewater sailing and need to replace the furler for my genny and add one for my staysail. I've narrowed it down to Schaefer or ProFurl. I'm leaning Schaefer, but the way they prevent halyard wrap at the top is different. ProFurl has a patented tab that mounts above the top bearing that the halyard bumps into. Schaefer requires a block to lead the halyard down the mast a short way so it reaches forward to the top swivel nearly horizontally. The last thing I want is a halyard wrap when I'm in the sh*t. Any positive or negative experience with either system? Thx!

·
Barquito
3,777 Posts
I would be curious about this comparison, too. What went into your decision to reject other makers such as Selden, Harken, etc.?

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
I've used both of those systems, and don't think there is much difference between them. Between the two, I'd probably go Schaefer because the support in the US is better, and I like the bearing system better. I wouldn't fret the halyard wrap aspect - as long as each is installed correctly, and the sail fits the furler, this won't be an issue.

To add a bit of thread drift in the direction of Barquito's question, we recently got a new furler and below is our reasoning for our choice. We ended up with the Reefit furler made in Tasmania.

Furlers considered:
Reefit C16
Harken MkIV
Furlex (Selden) 404S
Facnor LX290
Schaefer 3100
Profurl C430
Reckmann R30

Features wanted (in order of importance) and furlers that have them
1. Independent tack swivel - Reefit, Harken, Furlex, Facnor
2. Open drum - Reefit, Harken, Facnor
3. Torlon bearings in open races - Reefit, Harken (partly), Facnor (partly)
4. No dissimilar metals in contact - Reefit, Harken, Facnor
5. Price - Reefit $3,500, Harken $6,500, Facnor $5,200

Bonus: Warranty - Reefit 10yrs unconditional, Facnor 2yr limited, Harken 7yr limited (although my experience with Harken has always been unconditional)

So the choice came down to only 3 manufacturers with the features we wanted, so we chose on price. The AUD was 0.65 to the USD, so that was a 35% discount on currency exchange alone.

The reason an independent tack swivel was our first priority is because this type of system takes a full turn out of the middle of the sail before the ends begin to furl. The result is the sail is flattened as it furls and retains its shape. Foam and rope luffs are often sewn into headsails in an attempt to flatten them as they furl, but the independent swivels do this, and don't leave the less efficient thick luff when unfurled.

Mark

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would be curious about this comparison, too. What went into your decision to reject other makers such as Selden, Harken, etc.?
I'm no expert, but when setting my criteria as "simple and robust" I found that both Harken and Selden added either complexity or lighter (inferior in my mind) materials. These are the only four I even considered, and to be honest any of them will probably do the job. But I have a bit of time to research and I want to get the very best option.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mark - Good analysis. I think you left Schaefer off the list when it came to Torlon bearings and an open drum. I'm not sure about the dissimilar metals, but that's something to think about.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Mark - Good analysis. I think you left Schaefer off the list when it came to Torlon bearings and an open drum. I'm not sure about the dissimilar metals, but that's something to think about.
Schaefer was on the list of furlers considered, but dropped early from consideration because they do not have an independent tack swivel. They do have all the other criteria, but the tack swivel was our #1, so they didn't get past that. The list was meant to be a winnowing one from 1-5, not a compendium of features of all the furlers. I wasn't clear about that.

Otherwise, I like the Schaefer system and would get it over the ProFurl if those were my only choices. It is a solid, pretty much maintenance free unit.

Mark

1 - 6 of 6 Posts