SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking at a 1979 Schock Santana 30-3. Owner sale and no survey. Anyone have experience with one of these old girls?

Note this boat is different than the current Schock 30.

Thanks!

·
19,489 Posts
Need more clarfication... santana 30 or santana 30-30.. two very different boats.

·
Senior Moment Member
13,288 Posts
30-30 didn't come out till '81 so it would be the 1/2 Tonner.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
there was a Santana 30 mkI and mkII. Santana 30 +15 then the Santana 30 tall rig and the short rig but never heard of the 30-3. there were a lot of variants, masts with I measurements from 37 to 41 feet.
Good boats, sailed on a lot of new ones back in the day

·
Registered
7,857 Posts
Cored hull possibly, deck is cored for sure. Get a survey as you will not get insurance without one and most marinas require insurance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Need more clarfication... santana 30 or santana 30-30.. two very different boats.
The Schock website says the only 30 made in 1979 is the "30" not the 30-30. I've sent the HIN to them for confirmation.

It does have a Volvo diesel, supposedly replaced in 1988. Anyone know if this fresh or salt water cooled?

Any further comments appreciated.

·
19,489 Posts
The Schock website says the only 30 made in 1979 is the "30" not the 30-30. I've sent the HIN to them for confirmation.

Any further comments appreciated.
Right.. this will the the IOR influenced 30 by Shad Turner

Pretty typical of the day, smallish cockpit, esp with narrow stern, big headsails and spinnakers, possibly a handful deep downwind with spinnaker in a breeze. This just means 'pick your days'...

What/where is your intended usage?

As to the engine, it could be either.. any model number? From the 80s it could be one of the '2000' series Volvos, not their best moment, from what I've heard. Volvo parts are also known to be uber expensive as a rule.

If you're near/can see the boat if it's FWC it will have a heat exchanger and 2 water pumps, should be fairly obvious once you're there.

This is a fair amount of boat to be buying without a survey. Do you have the experience to give it a good look over and to be sure you're not buying someone else's problems?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is a fair amount of boat to be buying without a survey. Do you have the experience to give it a good look over and to be sure you're not buying someone else's problems?
I'm experienced enough to give it a quick survey and the risk of problems might be compensated for by the price.

Thanks for pointing out the small cockpit. I had not noticed that and that could be a deal breaker for day sailing. Intended uses are daysailing and Pacific coastal cruising with 2-3 day overnights.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I love mine. Love her, love her, love her. 1977. So many problems but was real cheap. Every sail has been epic, The old diesel is worn out but is actually running well now. This is so much boat for me . On a steep learning curve, had an O'day 20 and a Pearson Arial ( 26') then a 20 year hiatus , then back into the thick of it with this old Santana 30. would love to hear from others with the same boat.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I'll resurrect an sold thread…I have a Santana 30 and LOVE it as well. Its got a great combo of utility, performance and ease of use. I looked at getting a newer boat a few years ago, but at the end of the day, I decided it wouldn't be a huge difference to sail as far as enjoyment. Doing lots of upgrades and modernizing it now with new electronics and keeping it looking good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
NewportNewbie - please get in touch. I too have a Santana 30 and I'd enjoy seeing your projects. Scott (prior poster) set up a FB group for these boats. Including you, I 'know' five owners out of 118 hulls made. Best - Keith

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey cuajota I read your other article and enjoyed it immensely my name is Ed Holliday and I'm hauling a Santana 30 out to inspect the bottom next week and a survey! Please connect with me on Facebook or my email as I need to know if the hull is cored or just the deck and anything else Please!
Thank you
Ed Holliday

·
Senior Moment Member
13,288 Posts
Damn those are good looking boats. Got one opposite my berth but yours looks better.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts

My 1979 Tall Rig.

The boat is very solid! The hull is wood core. I have a core sample from when I installed a new knot meter...there is 1/4" fibreglass, 1/2" wood core, and another 1/4" fiberglass! It would take something pretty catastrophic to penetrate that hull! The whole boat is very solid considering it is a relatively light 8600lbs.

The boat sails very nicely on most points of sail, although the IOR stern makes it a bit of a workout downwind in breeze. It goes like a freight train on a reach, and points like a beast upwind.

The cockpit is typical IOR. 3 or 4 people can sit comfortably, although under sail I prefer to sit on the combing.

Overall Schock Therapy has served our family very well over the past 12 years, although we do dream about something bigger for retirement!

·
Registered
584 Posts
Very nice!!! I see you have a sprit on the bow. Which one? Any issues with the install?? I'm sure that makes an assy spinnaker much easier to deal with. Yes you are correct about the boats handling manners. I find it points to wind very high and hard. Downwind can be a workout although it's not too bad. The best description I could imagine be is its like an old sports car. Fun as hell. Performance is enough to scare you but you do have to respect it. No abs or awd or electronic gizmos to keep you on the road when you good.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts