SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all on SailNet!
I recently asked members of SailNet & Facebook Yacht Club for help locating/obtaining basic design drawings for the Bristol 41.1, and with the very speedy response, am now able to set off on the journey of design & construction, from scratch. I have built several scale RC models over the last few years, all based on existing real-world yacht classes. The scaling challenge is very interesting & edcuational, as it requires one to re-design the sail plan, keel & ballast, rudder & several other factors, while keeping the overall design not only functional as an RC model boat, but clearly recognizable as a specific class, and also pretty to look at. I have posted several videos of my constuction method, which is unique (as far as I know) on my non-commecial Youtube channel at:Salty Sea Dawg Sailing - YouTube . I adapted the old-fashioned 'bread & butter' ship-building method to lightweight closed-cell foam panels, which are cut like a layer cake, and built up, one on top of the other, to form the hull. It's easier to watch than explain (see the videos!). This results in an extremely light, rigid, waterproof and inexpensive hull, later coated with resins & possibly thin fibreglass cloth. Also very easy to 'carve out' the required interior hull space for electronics, batteries etc. I also re-design & cut/sew the sails (using the free CAD program Sailcut), which must be modified as mentioned above, so that they can be trimmed by a single servo/control arm. Photo attached shows my recent work.
Easel Bookcase Wood Shelving Interior design

ANYWAY, all this is an intro to the next/current project, the Bristol 41.1, which I am making as a gift for a sailing/racing friend, at the request of his wife, as they have just been forced to retire from their final yacht owing to advancing years (theirs, not the boat's). I plan to post updates here, as the project progresses, as it will be a winter project here in frozen Ottawa, Canada.

Thanks again to to helpful members of SailNet!

·
Registered
25,123 Posts
Love it. Good luck.

I've often considered having an RC sailor to play with at anchor. Last I looked into them, I wasn't sure what to get that would prove fun and reliable. Read a bunch about them leaking or failing. I suppose I just hop in the dinghy and go get it. They might be kind of big to store aboard too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Love it. Good luck.

I've often considered having an RC sailor to play with at anchor. Last I looked into them, I wasn't sure what to get that would prove fun and reliable. Read a bunch about them leaking or failing. I suppose I just hop in the dinghy and go get it. They might be kind of big to store aboard too.
From what I've seen of the 15 or so different RC models at our yacht club, they rarely break down totally. It's ls very handy to get a transmitter that includes battery monitoring: you can set an alarm to warn you when the boat's power is getting low, not expensive either. If you don't sail in a small pond-like area, the worry about your boat sailig off to the horizon out of control, or drifting there dead, is real, so we stick to harbour areas where the farthest it can get is the far wall of the harbour. They are great fun, specially when the big-boat season is over, and they are all stored for winter, but there is still open water, which is for a few months here in Ottawa..

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Moored next to a guy in Avalon once who fitted his RC sailboat with running lights, great after dinner entertainment and very cool in the moonlight.

·
Registered
25,123 Posts
From what I've seen of the 15 or so different RC models at our yacht club, they rarely break down totally. It's ls very handy to get a transmitter that includes battery monitoring: you can set an alarm to warn you when the boat's power is getting low, not expensive either.
Would you or anyone else have any recommendations? Could be a fun way to goof around at anchor. Maybe two to race with guests. I do not recall the price tag to know if this is worth it, as I never thought I found the right stuff to buy.

·
Registered
145 Posts
A few years ago I made a scale model of a Colin Archer double-ender, and fitted eight-channel radio control. The boat has individual sail control, (jib, staysail, main, and mizzen) a variable speed electric motor, navigation lights, and a motley crew of four and two cats. This was from a kit, not from scratch, because I didn’t have the skill for that. Buying and figuring out how to fit all the ancillary radio control equipment was time-consuming enough. You can see pictures and read the story here: OLD GAFFER (schooner-britannia.com)
Warning: you definitely need a lot of patience to make a radio-controlled model boat.

·
Super Moderator
5,098 Posts
Where in Ottawa do people sail RC boats? I have a 39 inch RC Soling some one gave me about 5 years ago. Never got around to building it, but might make a good project for my winter holidays. Home with the kids for 2 weeks while wife works, might be a fun project for the 3 of us.
Hood Automotive design Wood Hardwood Automotive exterior

·
1968 Columbia 50
Columbia 50
609 Posts
Fun stuff. Back in the day I used to build different r/c sailboats. Pretty much all from scratch, using line drawings, it was a long process, but I enjoyed it, back in y teens and 20's. I built everything from an Alberg 37, One J-class which was huge, an EC12, etc.

We used to have a fairly active r/c racing group in SW Michigan, now they have almost all but faded away.
If you want to get into a boat, with a good chance of similar ones nearby, the International One Metre class is the worlds largest, and they do not take up a ton of space. One Metre (radiosailing.org)

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
10,073 Posts
Would you or anyone else have any recommendations? Could be a fun way to goof around at anchor. Maybe two to race with guests. I do not recall the price tag to know if this is worth it, as I never thought I found the right stuff to buy.
The classes that seem to be the most popular around Annapolis are the CR914, DF 95 and the EC 12, They all seem to be about 3 feet or a meter long., I have watched them rig and derig these boats, it seemed to take well less than 15 minutes, At least the one boat had its rig in what looked like a fishing rode storage case, and had the sail attached so only needed to step and attach the boom and other rigging. These are not small objects to store, but with the rig down, they are not huge either.

Jeff

·
Registered
Moody 376
214 Posts
Arc B the soling onemeter is a very popluar one design RC sailboat. if its a complete kit, worth around 3-400 bucks US Ive build about 8-9 of them. not the easiest build, but can be done on a kitche table.

Its very easy to build it crooked there are tons of resource. let me know VIA pm and we can chat off line.

depending on where you are in ontario. Here are some clubs.

Ontario region:
Toronto
Name: Metro Marine Modellers – MMM
Club affiliation number: ON1
Sailing Locations: Etobicoke & Mississauga
Schedule
Boats sailed: DF65, DF95, Soling1M, IOM, Victoria

Ottawa
Name: Ottawa Area Model Yacht Club – FB site
Club affiliation number: ON2
Sailing Locations: Andrew Haydon Park
Mondays and Fridays
Boats sailed: Mini12 & Fantasy 32

Windsor
Name: Windsor Model Yacht Club – WMYC
Club affiliation number: ON3
Sailing Locations: Volmer Pond & Riverside Sportsman’s Club
Schedule
Boats sailed: Footy, RG65, Soling1M, US1M, DF95

Belleville
Name: Quinte Model Yacht Club – QMYC
Club affiliation number: ON4
Sailing Locations: Bay of Quinte Yacht Club
Schedule
Boats sailed: Mini12

Hamilton
Name: Fifty Point Model Sailing Group – FPMSG
Club affiliation number: ON5
Sailing Locations: Fifty Point Conservation Area
Schedule: Monday and Wednesday afternoons from 1 pm until 4 pm
Boats sailed: DF65, DF95, Soling1M, Victoria

Kingston
Name: Kingston Yacht Club – KYC
Club affiliation number: ON6
Sailing Locations: Kingston Yacht Club
Schedule: Monday (DF65) and Wednesday (IOM) evenings starting at 6 pm
Boats sailed: DF65, IOM

Ive built a few dozen RC boats over the years before jumping into the full size market last year....
here is the last RC boat Ibuilt plank on frame Star 45, finished mid fleet at Nationals a year or two ago.

the power boat is a 1920's Vinyard that I made based on a half hull and actual measurement from the full size.

Attachments

·
Registered
Moody 376
214 Posts
The classes that seem to be the most popular around Annapolis are the CR914, DF 95 and the EC 12, They all seem to be about 3 feet or a meter long., I have watched them rig and derig these boats, it seemed to take well less than 15 minutes, At least the one boat had its rig in what looked like a fishing rode storage case, and had the sail attached so only needed to step and attach the boom and other rigging. These are not small objects to store, but with the rig down, they are not huge either.

Jeff
the ec 12 is all up 25lbs rig is 72" tall. and is a beast of a boat. but very fun to sail as it sails and feels a lot like a real keel boat. DF95 has gained a lot of popularity as it is a true one design. IE you won't get beat by deep pockets. It travels very well, shroudless rig, maybe all up 5-6 lbs. with clubs all over the country. It was one of the classes I traveled and sailed with. and its ready to sail with about 4-8 hours of assembly (depends on how dextrous your fingers are)

·
Registered
25,123 Posts
Is this a build your own only deal or can some of these boat be purchased. I'd really like to build a kit, but I've signed up for too much this winter already.

·
Registered
Moody 376
214 Posts
arcb
Many of the soling clubs have spare lead shot since its usually purchased in a 25lb bag you only need about 6.5-7lbs. If the clubs aren't close to you or if they don't have any spare shot, let me know. I may have some laying around the shop, along with some old spare parts as well. Shipping may be expensive, from US to CAN but I'm not sure how easy it for you canadians to get lead shotgun shot... plan on spending upwards of 50 hours building the soling, not counting waiting for epoxy dry time, sanding painting, etc.... It is a challenging build. and I would not build it solely based on the the instructions provided, a few tweaks here and there and you can build a much better, stronger, faster boat with no or minimal outlay of cash.

Minnwaska, What type of boat are you looking to build. you can scratch build a developmental class boat like an RG65, or an IOM, EC12 you buy the hull from a registered manufacturer and the go from there. the DF95 is more of an assembly type things, as is the CR914. Depending on where you live though, I would look for a local club and think about building what they sail near by. sometimes its more fun to sail with others, but by being close to a club and building what they sail, you have a close repository of knowledge. There is a lot of chinese "junk" kits out there, that sail like sht, materials are crap, and the only upside is the low price.

if you find a local club you may find someone who has a spare boat laying around collecting dust that only needs some TLC to be ready to sail on the cheap.

·
Registered
25,123 Posts
Minnwaska, What type of boat are you looking to build.
Thanks for the input. I don't have time on my dance card to build. My winter list is literally 95 items long. Yikes.

I was asking if a good quality RC sailboat can be purchased ready to sail. I don't plan to play locally. The idea is to store it aboard and sail it at anchor, while standing on the sugar scoop with a cocktail chilling on the deck. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,098 Posts
Thanks.

Lead shot should be easy to get, just can't use it for waterfowl hunting. I shoot trap and black powder, so probably have a fair bit, maybe not 6 to 7 pounds though.

·
Registered
Moody 376
214 Posts
Easy to assemble easy to sail. Df65 or the df95. Df95 is a better sailing boat, but it’s also a larger boat 95cm long vs 65cm long. The reason I mentioned a local club, you might be able to find a boat built and ready to go, maybe older or not suited for racing.

Both the df65 and 95 go together out of the box easily in an afternoon. And disassemble easily for transport/ storage. https://radiosailing.net/. Some folks save the box it came it to transport to events. Others use a bow and arrow case or build their own out of doorskins Hull is abs plastic, lead bulb, carbon keel carbon rudder carbon mast Mylar sails. Boat can be powered by aa batts.

I am not a seller of the boats, but I do know person who imports and sells the df boats.

Arcb. If you end needing a few lbs. let me know...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts