SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Moody 376
247 Posts
Arc B the soling onemeter is a very popluar one design RC sailboat. if its a complete kit, worth around 3-400 bucks US Ive build about 8-9 of them. not the easiest build, but can be done on a kitche table.

Its very easy to build it crooked there are tons of resource. let me know VIA pm and we can chat off line.

depending on where you are in ontario. Here are some clubs.

Ontario region:
Toronto
Name: Metro Marine Modellers – MMM
Club affiliation number: ON1
Sailing Locations: Etobicoke & Mississauga
Schedule
Boats sailed: DF65, DF95, Soling1M, IOM, Victoria

Ottawa
Name: Ottawa Area Model Yacht Club – FB site
Club affiliation number: ON2
Sailing Locations: Andrew Haydon Park
Mondays and Fridays
Boats sailed: Mini12 & Fantasy 32

Windsor
Name: Windsor Model Yacht Club – WMYC
Club affiliation number: ON3
Sailing Locations: Volmer Pond & Riverside Sportsman’s Club
Schedule
Boats sailed: Footy, RG65, Soling1M, US1M, DF95

Belleville
Name: Quinte Model Yacht Club – QMYC
Club affiliation number: ON4
Sailing Locations: Bay of Quinte Yacht Club
Schedule
Boats sailed: Mini12

Hamilton
Name: Fifty Point Model Sailing Group – FPMSG
Club affiliation number: ON5
Sailing Locations: Fifty Point Conservation Area
Schedule: Monday and Wednesday afternoons from 1 pm until 4 pm
Boats sailed: DF65, DF95, Soling1M, Victoria

Kingston
Name: Kingston Yacht Club – KYC
Club affiliation number: ON6
Sailing Locations: Kingston Yacht Club
Schedule: Monday (DF65) and Wednesday (IOM) evenings starting at 6 pm
Boats sailed: DF65, IOM

Ive built a few dozen RC boats over the years before jumping into the full size market last year....
here is the last RC boat Ibuilt plank on frame Star 45, finished mid fleet at Nationals a year or two ago.

the power boat is a 1920's Vinyard that I made based on a half hull and actual measurement from the full size.

Attachments

·
Registered
Moody 376
247 Posts
The classes that seem to be the most popular around Annapolis are the CR914, DF 95 and the EC 12, They all seem to be about 3 feet or a meter long., I have watched them rig and derig these boats, it seemed to take well less than 15 minutes, At least the one boat had its rig in what looked like a fishing rode storage case, and had the sail attached so only needed to step and attach the boom and other rigging. These are not small objects to store, but with the rig down, they are not huge either.

Jeff
the ec 12 is all up 25lbs rig is 72" tall. and is a beast of a boat. but very fun to sail as it sails and feels a lot like a real keel boat. DF95 has gained a lot of popularity as it is a true one design. IE you won't get beat by deep pockets. It travels very well, shroudless rig, maybe all up 5-6 lbs. with clubs all over the country. It was one of the classes I traveled and sailed with. and its ready to sail with about 4-8 hours of assembly (depends on how dextrous your fingers are)

·
Registered
Moody 376
247 Posts
arcb
Many of the soling clubs have spare lead shot since its usually purchased in a 25lb bag you only need about 6.5-7lbs. If the clubs aren't close to you or if they don't have any spare shot, let me know. I may have some laying around the shop, along with some old spare parts as well. Shipping may be expensive, from US to CAN but I'm not sure how easy it for you canadians to get lead shotgun shot... plan on spending upwards of 50 hours building the soling, not counting waiting for epoxy dry time, sanding painting, etc.... It is a challenging build. and I would not build it solely based on the the instructions provided, a few tweaks here and there and you can build a much better, stronger, faster boat with no or minimal outlay of cash.

Minnwaska, What type of boat are you looking to build. you can scratch build a developmental class boat like an RG65, or an IOM, EC12 you buy the hull from a registered manufacturer and the go from there. the DF95 is more of an assembly type things, as is the CR914. Depending on where you live though, I would look for a local club and think about building what they sail near by. sometimes its more fun to sail with others, but by being close to a club and building what they sail, you have a close repository of knowledge. There is a lot of chinese "junk" kits out there, that sail like sht, materials are crap, and the only upside is the low price.

if you find a local club you may find someone who has a spare boat laying around collecting dust that only needs some TLC to be ready to sail on the cheap.

·
Registered
Moody 376
247 Posts
Easy to assemble easy to sail. Df65 or the df95. Df95 is a better sailing boat, but it’s also a larger boat 95cm long vs 65cm long. The reason I mentioned a local club, you might be able to find a boat built and ready to go, maybe older or not suited for racing.

Both the df65 and 95 go together out of the box easily in an afternoon. And disassemble easily for transport/ storage. https://radiosailing.net/. Some folks save the box it came it to transport to events. Others use a bow and arrow case or build their own out of doorskins Hull is abs plastic, lead bulb, carbon keel carbon rudder carbon mast Mylar sails. Boat can be powered by aa batts.

I am not a seller of the boats, but I do know person who imports and sells the df boats.

Arcb. If you end needing a few lbs. let me know...

·
Registered
Moody 376
247 Posts
keel is held in place by a single hex head machine screw bulb is held in place on the keel by a single hex head machine screw as is the rudder linkage

The main and jib sheet are attached to the booms by a snap swivel(fishing). The jib club and back stay are attached via a string and a snap swivel as well. The mast is keel stepped in a trunk that is adjustable fore aft. No side shrouds.

Honestly 10 min max to rig and start sailing For the 65 or 95. Boat can be launched/ retrieved by grabbing the mast at the mast crane and lifting the boat. Two channel radio, one channel for rudder and one for sail. The sails has all the typical adjustment, ouhauls, downhaul, Vang, jib topping lift, forestay tension,jib halyard tension.

·
Registered
Moody 376
247 Posts
Thanks again.

I think I conflated two different points. I was interested in how easy it was to rig and unrig, for storage. Sounds easy.

The time was about not having enough to build one. Can a good boat be purchased, ready to sail?
I may have misunderstood as well. New in box. You have about 4 hours of assembly time, putting rig together attaching sails, sheets, etc.. after initial assembly. From storage to water about ten minutes

An rc sailboat can be a lot like a big sailboat. You can buy a used boat that needs work, or you can buy a used boat that is ready to sail. Just like big boats, the price usually reflects it. A df65 I think is under 300 with transmitter while the df95 is closer to 500

They are both popular boats, and a growing class, but sometimes you can find the df’s used. Which is why you’d want to look to the clubs nearest to you and reach out to them and ask, some clubs have classified on their web sites.

Sometimes you can find stuff on face book. There is a rc sailboat marketplace

·
Registered
Moody 376
247 Posts
Df65 is a nice boat, would a great boat to tool around with at anchor. Strong ondesign class so if you ever decided to play with other df65 boats you’d be on an even playing field. The df95 is a better sailing boat, but that is a virtue of the longer waterline and heavier weight. The a+ Sails add a bit more sail area for the light days.

And if you want to customize the exterior of the boat https://www.dragonskinsusa.com/df65

·
Registered
Moody 376
247 Posts
Glatus, as you move forward on your project, keep us updated, pics of plans, ect... Also, if you need anything printed out in large format. let me know. I have easy access to a 36" black and white plotter

1 - 8 of 8 Posts