SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all on SailNet!
I recently asked members of SailNet & Facebook Yacht Club for help locating/obtaining basic design drawings for the Bristol 41.1, and with the very speedy response, am now able to set off on the journey of design & construction, from scratch. I have built several scale RC models over the last few years, all based on existing real-world yacht classes. The scaling challenge is very interesting & edcuational, as it requires one to re-design the sail plan, keel & ballast, rudder & several other factors, while keeping the overall design not only functional as an RC model boat, but clearly recognizable as a specific class, and also pretty to look at. I have posted several videos of my constuction method, which is unique (as far as I know) on my non-commecial Youtube channel at:Salty Sea Dawg Sailing - YouTube . I adapted the old-fashioned 'bread & butter' ship-building method to lightweight closed-cell foam panels, which are cut like a layer cake, and built up, one on top of the other, to form the hull. It's easier to watch than explain (see the videos!). This results in an extremely light, rigid, waterproof and inexpensive hull, later coated with resins & possibly thin fibreglass cloth. Also very easy to 'carve out' the required interior hull space for electronics, batteries etc. I also re-design & cut/sew the sails (using the free CAD program Sailcut), which must be modified as mentioned above, so that they can be trimmed by a single servo/control arm. Photo attached shows my recent work.
Easel Bookcase Wood Shelving Interior design

ANYWAY, all this is an intro to the next/current project, the Bristol 41.1, which I am making as a gift for a sailing/racing friend, at the request of his wife, as they have just been forced to retire from their final yacht owing to advancing years (theirs, not the boat's). I plan to post updates here, as the project progresses, as it will be a winter project here in frozen Ottawa, Canada.

Thanks again to to helpful members of SailNet!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Love it. Good luck.

I've often considered having an RC sailor to play with at anchor. Last I looked into them, I wasn't sure what to get that would prove fun and reliable. Read a bunch about them leaking or failing. I suppose I just hop in the dinghy and go get it. They might be kind of big to store aboard too.
From what I've seen of the 15 or so different RC models at our yacht club, they rarely break down totally. It's ls very handy to get a transmitter that includes battery monitoring: you can set an alarm to warn you when the boat's power is getting low, not expensive either. If you don't sail in a small pond-like area, the worry about your boat sailig off to the horizon out of control, or drifting there dead, is real, so we stick to harbour areas where the farthest it can get is the far wall of the harbour. They are great fun, specially when the big-boat season is over, and they are all stored for winter, but there is still open water, which is for a few months here in Ottawa..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Where in Ottawa do people sail RC boats? I have a 39 inch RC Soling some one gave me about 5 years ago. Never got around to building it, but might make a good project for my winter holidays. Home with the kids for 2 weeks while wife works, might be a fun project for the 3 of us. View attachment 141365
Hi Arcb, I think your question may have been been answered in other responses here. There is the group at Andrew Haydon Pond, and another Ottawa RC boat club I'm aware of. I have no interest/involvement in any other model groups because they all have either One-Design requirements to join in, or too many rules. I created a model race series at BYC Ottawa, that allows anyone, with any kind of model (ie from Walmart, or the most expensive, huge OD RC models) to race together reasonably fairly. I use the NHC/RYA handicap system and scale it for the models' dimensions etc. We had a great season kick-off in 2019 but the pandemic put a stop to our fun in 2020 & 2021, Hoping to get it rolling again next year. You can join BYC Britannia Yacht Club (byc.ca) for an amazingly low price and still have full access to all the club amenities. I maintain an email list of all the RC model boat owners at BYC, and could include you, if you might be intererested in joining in.
regards,
Tony

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 · (Edited)
Hi All! Here's Update video # 2 of the 1/18th Scale Bristol 41.1 RC model. The hull and spars are well-developed now, and the mainsail has been sewn up. Foresail should be done today, and then back to the hull for preps for keel & rudder construction and installation. 1/18th Scale RC Model of Bristol 41.1 - Update 2 - YouTube

Thanks again to to helpful members of SailNet!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts