SailNet Community banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Where in Ottawa do people sail RC boats? I have a 39 inch RC Soling some one gave me about 5 years ago. Never got around to building it, but might make a good project for my winter holidays. Home with the kids for 2 weeks while wife works, might be a fun project for the 3 of us. View attachment 141365
Hi Arcb, I think your question may have been been answered in other responses here. There is the group at Andrew Haydon Pond, and another Ottawa RC boat club I'm aware of. I have no interest/involvement in any other model groups because they all have either One-Design requirements to join in, or too many rules. I created a model race series at BYC Ottawa, that allows anyone, with any kind of model (ie from Walmart, or the most expensive, huge OD RC models) to race together reasonably fairly. I use the NHC/RYA handicap system and scale it for the models' dimensions etc. We had a great season kick-off in 2019 but the pandemic put a stop to our fun in 2020 & 2021, Hoping to get it rolling again next year. You can join BYC Britannia Yacht Club (byc.ca) for an amazingly low price and still have full access to all the club amenities. I maintain an email list of all the RC model boat owners at BYC, and could include you, if you might be intererested in joining in.
regards,
Tony

·
Registered
25,129 Posts
Are the rigs and keels readily removable and reinstalled?

This sounds like fun, I just don't think I can devote much time to it.

·
Registered
Moody 376
217 Posts
keel is held in place by a single hex head machine screw bulb is held in place on the keel by a single hex head machine screw as is the rudder linkage

The main and jib sheet are attached to the booms by a snap swivel(fishing). The jib club and back stay are attached via a string and a snap swivel as well. The mast is keel stepped in a trunk that is adjustable fore aft. No side shrouds.

Honestly 10 min max to rig and start sailing For the 65 or 95. Boat can be launched/ retrieved by grabbing the mast at the mast crane and lifting the boat. Two channel radio, one channel for rudder and one for sail. The sails has all the typical adjustment, ouhauls, downhaul, Vang, jib topping lift, forestay tension,jib halyard tension.

·
Registered
25,129 Posts
Honestly 10 min max to rig and start sailing
Thanks again.

I think I conflated two different points. I was interested in how easy it was to rig and unrig, for storage. Sounds easy.

The time was about not having enough to build one. Can a good boat be purchased, ready to sail?

·
1968 Columbia 50
Columbia 50
609 Posts
Thanks again.

I think I conflated two different points. I was interested in how easy it was to rig and unrig, for storage. Sounds easy.

The time was about not having enough to build one. Can a good boat be purchased, ready to sail?
There are a number of associations that have classifieds sections, google is a good resource for finding them. This site lists suppliers of most anything you can possibly needs. THE AMYA - American Model Yachting Association

·
Registered
Moody 376
217 Posts
Thanks again.

I may have misunderstood as well. New in box. You have about 4 hours of assembly time, putting rig together attaching sails, sheets, etc.. after initial assembly. From storage to water about ten minutes

An rc sailboat can be a lot like a big sailboat. You can buy a used boat that needs work, or you can buy a used boat that is ready to sail. Just like big boats, the price usually reflects it. A df65 I think is under 300 with transmitter while the df95 is closer to 500

They are both popular boats, and a growing class, but sometimes you can find the df’s used. Which is why you’d want to look to the clubs nearest to you and reach out to them and ask, some clubs have classified on their web sites.

Sometimes you can find stuff on face book. There is a rc sailboat marketplace

·
Registered
25,129 Posts

·
Registered
Moody 376
217 Posts
Df65 is a nice boat, would a great boat to tool around with at anchor. Strong ondesign class so if you ever decided to play with other df65 boats you’d be on an even playing field. The df95 is a better sailing boat, but that is a virtue of the longer waterline and heavier weight. The a+ Sails add a bit more sail area for the light days.

And if you want to customize the exterior of the boat https://www.dragonskinsusa.com/df65

·
Registered
Moody 376
217 Posts
Glatus, as you move forward on your project, keep us updated, pics of plans, ect... Also, if you need anything printed out in large format. let me know. I have easy access to a 36" black and white plotter

21 - 30 of 30 Posts