SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finished painting the topsides of my boat back in June, and it has been in the water since the. I used a one piece paint from Interlux called Brightside. Anyway, I obviously miscalculated the waterline. This is a "new to me" boat, so I had never seen it in the water and sort of guesstimated the waterline. Anyway, the bottom 2 inches of the topsides paint is all blistered from being in the water.

I will redo it once I pull the boat in the fall, so my question is :
Do I simply bring the bottom paint up to 2 inches or should I use a bootstripe? Will a bootstripe bubble from being underwater like the Brightside? I would rather not bring the anti fouling bottom paint up 2 inches as it will be too much of a colour contrast. The boat is white, the anti fouling black.

·
19,485 Posts
Ideally you don't want any topside or bootstripe submerged full time... Anywhere the water is you'll get growth - esp at the waterline where there's plenty of light.

Also, when you load the boat up with crew and supplies, the waterline is going to change again.. it's kinda nice to have that 2-3" buffer of antifouling above the light-load floating waterline.

Nothing wrong with a colour contrast there.. and it also has the effect of making your boat look a little longer/sleeker.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts