SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, now that I've got your attention, here is actually a serious question.

I just installed a new manual bilge pump in my new-to-me boat. The hose terminates in the bilge in a strum box (who comes up with these names?) that has the ability to be screwed down so it is held in place in the proper position. Do I need to worry about bedding the strum box before screwing it into the bilge? (I'm trying to keep this serious here, but maybe this needs to be transferred to the old thread about suggestive language in sailing situations . . .)

What started me thinking about this was a passage in the new edition of This Old Boat in which Don Casey suggests putting barrier coat down in the bilge instead of paint. If I screw into the bottom of the bilge, am I just providing easy access into the fiberglass for standing water in the bilge? Or am I worried about nothing?

Thanks!

MD

·
Back to just the Jon boat
941 Posts
No screws!
Glue it with something.......anything.........just no screwing in the bilge. It is no fun for anyone afterward. Whether you smoke or not. :eek:

·
Banned
17,467 Posts
Dude, you definitely got my attention! I've not performed that feat just yet.

I installed an electric bilge pump in my C27 a few weeks ago. It was a small pump but had a screw-down plate as well. I used Gorilla glue to place a treated wood block in the bottom of the bilge (total hack job), then screwed the plate into that. So far it's worked great. Gorilla glue is crazy cool stuff.

I'll let you know how long it lasts. I don't know if it would be strong enough for your manual pump though and I'm in fresh water - so who knows.

Good luck on your screwing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts