SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I registered last week and see that Audrey was the 4th to register. Who else is in? Registration looks light for only 12 days to the start. Is it always like this, filling in at the last minute?

We had some PHRF certificate problems that took a week to resolve but all is well and we have our 144 back. This is our first time sailing Screwpile, are winds usually as light as I'm hoping they won't be?

We can't do Gov Cup this year (breaking a 6 year tradition for me) so we're looking forward to being in Solomons. We have a good crew lined up too.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Good Luck!

Go Victoria!

Sorry we won't see you at Gov Cup this year. I just registered yesterday, but I honestly I wonder about the commitment of about 1/2 my crew. Hoping I'm not in a mad scramble the week before the race to replace flake outs.

SMC says on Facebook registrations are up, but if so, they are not keeping the scratch sheet up to date. Frankly their registration system is somewhat screwy and I may have "registered" multiple times though I only paid one entry fee. lol

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just registered yesterday, but I honestly I wonder about the commitment of about 1/2 my crew.
Good Luck Bill. If you get in a bind, let me know. I might be able to turn you on to some good crew as long as you promise to return them for next year!

I'm worried about Screwpile as it's generally a light air gig, which I think is the hardest form of sailing. That's why I like Gov Cup - night sailing in cooler temps and more wind. But hey, that's sailing.....

If any SailNet-ers are in the neighborhood of Solomons Island from Thursday afternoon, 17 July through Sunday evening, 20 July feel fee to stop by the Holiday Inn marina and say hi. We should be around in the evenings.

·
Sailing Junkie
300 Posts
Mark,
Hope you do well for Screwpile..........hope the heat doesn't kill ya!
Barb and I are cruising South on the bay during this time, otherwise we'd be heading up to Solomons to chear you on (and get a crabcake at Stoney's of course).

Tom

·
Chastened
4,861 Posts
Good Luck!

I just registered yesterday, but I honestly I wonder about the commitment of about 1/2 my crew. Hoping I'm not in a mad scramble the week before the race to replace flake outs.
NOTHING pisses me off more than people flaking out of a regatta commitment, especially for no valid reason. Beer can races? Sure, we all have stuff that pops up unexpectedly.

These people don't seem to realize the energy, paperwork and expense that goes into these events and have no problem leaving the skipper holding an empty bag.

There oughtta be a black list where skippers post names of these slack-offs and baggers.:mad:

·
I don't discuss my member
2,557 Posts
Yeah, SPLC is always a "last minute registration" type deal for most folks. Lots of people on vacation, and it's hard for the organizers to update the list all the time.

Audrey will be there in PHRF C and docked at SMSA. Harney Yacht Rigging will be there as sponsors. Sabre, do you have a slip number yet? If things are slow, I'll swing by and say hi.

·
2,557 Posts
lol, tell us how you really feel bubble.... :p

Also, screwpile gets a bad wrap for light air, but it actually has a great record of getting off a lot of races historically. It's well run, and I've never noticed it to be lighter than any other multiday regatta on the bay. Including ARW, SBRW, Luek Cup, etc. They all have a light day here and there.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We don't have a slip number but the dockmaster just told me that we'd be on D dock. I'll also try to get down to SMSA. Normally when we're in Solomons, we stay at Zahnizers but since we're new to Screwpile, I figured that I'd stay where the action is. I may regret it, but it's not a big deal.

I understand that we're all "amateurs" and that other commitments may outweigh one to a leisure activity like sailing. I wouldn't blacklist someone for having to chose between a higher priority commitment, even if I'm disappointed. It's life, it happens. I suppose that I just lost my chance to get on a bunch of boats. :)

·
Chastened
4,861 Posts
You misunderstand me.

I would certainly understand if something higher priority came up. I'm saying that I've had people flake out on regattas simply because "they just didn't feel like it".

That's a lot different than "The server crashed at work and I have to go rebuild it" or "Grandma got ran over by a reindeer".

·
Rocket Scientist
66 Posts
I'm not racing Screwpile but I am crewing in the EYC's Annapolis to Solomons Island race this weekend. After the after party breaks up we're headed up to HHN to spend the night and then back to Annapolis Sunday morning.

·
2,557 Posts
What boat Russ?
I'll be on Jubilee for the EYC to solomons race. See you at the party :)

·
Chastened
4,861 Posts
I'm not racing Screwpile but I am crewing in the EYC's Annapolis to Solomons Island race this weekend. After the after party breaks up we're headed up to HHN to spend the night and then back to Annapolis Sunday morning.
You're assuming that you'll actually arrive in time for the after party.
The breeze is forecast to be so light, that it's being rated in "duck fart" units instead of knots. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is off topic but it's my thread... In theory I COULD do Gov Cup... I have to be on the beach at Laguna Beach, CA Sat night at 7 for a wedding. So if I got on a really fast boat like Donnybrook and finished at 0300, I could get to Reagan for a flight to LA. :)

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
This is off topic but it's my thread... In theory I COULD do Gov Cup... I have to be on the beach at Laguna Beach, CA Sat night at 7 for a wedding. So if I got on a really fast boat like Donnybrook and finished at 0300, I could get to Reagan for a flight to LA. :)
I understand Donnybrook is in for repairs and/or upgrades and won't be at the Cup, so I guess you are SOL.

Rude how these people schedule weddings without consulting the racing calendar first.

·
2,557 Posts
Take from someone who missed their flight b/c the Bermuda race took longer than expected, I wouldn't count on Gov Cup being a fast trip. ;)

And yes, DB is out, keel issues.

·
SV Skalliwag #141
744 Posts
Do you have to be available all 4 days? I can be avail Saturday and Sunday. I'll be at Zahnisers. Would like to try being rail meat!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts