SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I use a hookah diving system - no tanks - dive all day at no cost. It consists of an on-board oilless compressor - about 100psi and a hookah regulator. Check with a diving supply for details.

It is better not to remove barnacles unless you are ready to haul out and re-do the bottom since they adhere so well they will take the anti-fouling paint off with them and leave areas of your hull exposed. They don''t do any harm except for water resistance while underway.

When you are ready to remove them, use a heavy cold chisel. I use one about 3 to 4 inches wide on the blade and with a heavy handle about 8" long. The weight helps to pop the barnacles off. If you use a conventional scraper, you are relying on the inertia of your arm and hand to pop them off and believe me you will be very sore after a couple of hours.

·
Registered
17 Posts
By the way - you don''t need to scrub zincs. The electrolysis currents have absolutely no trouble passing through the white fluffy stuff on the zincs and by leaving the soft surface, barnacles can''t adhere to it and reduce the surface area.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.