SailNet Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Reaction score
Ambitious trip, but if you've been in 30-40 mph winds and 12-14 ft. seas, you can handle Georgian Bay. I'm not 100% familiar with the corner of GB that your headed, but have been on Georgian Bay for years. With the right ( wrong) conditions you will experience the winds and waves you're used to, only difference in GB is the waves will be closer together. I imgaine Manitoulin Isl will protect most of that aea to some extent, but the run form Bears rump to Lonley is fairly open.

Chart #2235 seems to be the most detailed in that area. I have 2201 which is all of Georgian Bay, but is probably not detailed enough for what you want. CHS Charts

White Squall Paddling Centre is in Parry Sound directly across the bay but could probably help you with other info. you're looking for.

Can Coast Guard has 100% coverage of GB, so you should be fine, but that's with higher antennas on sail boat. You may want to consider SPOT or even an EIPRB, just in case the hand-held doesn't reach. There are a couple of others on this forum that have been through this area so may have more first hand knowledge.

Good luck and keep us posted. Kayaking is similar to sailing, i.e. its not a motorboat ;)

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for checking back in. It helps to know that the time to respond is being acknlowledged.

Sounds like a good trip. I've done several 1 & 2 week canoe trips in the Algonquin & Killarney Prov. Parks. Now, I prefer a much bigger canoe, although I do miss the tripping.

If you contact Whitesquall in my post above, perhaps they could hook you up with someone that knows the area as far as how strong the currents could be on a regular basis.

I've seen the Bay relatively calm and I've seen it insane. If the current is from wind shifts, I imagine ( I speculating) it would take fairly substantial winds over a couple of days to push the lake enough to cause a backflowe though the slot when it dies down.

Good luck.

Registered
Reaction score
I appreciate it that you went out of your way to help me out Scott!
Hopefully that will help you out a little more. I check in on Sweetwater Cruising all the time, saw the post he had on his site and immediately thought of you.

I've learned a lot from Sailnet and am happy to pay some of it back. I think we all enjoy this area so much we are happy to share the experience.

Keep the questions coming and let us know how the trip goes.... take lots of pictures, you can post them when you return.

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your job, hopefully you'll find something soon. This economy can't stay down forever.

Years ago, we spent several trips up in Killarney and I swore I would get back up there someday ( that was 20-25 years ago). Last year we made it back, although in a much bigger canoe. ;)

Our "campsite"

Hiking the ridges once again....

Registered
Reaction score
Sony Cybershot 6.0 mp not a bad camera, but I miss my old Nikon SLR, and a new digital SLR is not in the budget.

killarney... good points. Our first trip into Algonquin Park was early June and we were eaten alive in the portages and into bed by sundown. August is more bug and weather friendly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.