SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please share your best sea sick remedies and preventions. How long does one get sick? Will it happen every trip?

I heard of a no fail device that goes on your wrist like a watch and sends electrical pulses to the 3 nerves in your wrist.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Seasickness varies a lot from person to person. I know people who have never been seasick.
But I have known others for whom there is no cure. When I was in the navy I watched a few people who never got over it, and I'm tellin' ya it was awful for them. The rest of us would get seasick, throw up and go on, but these few were just incapacitated.

I have seen no way to predict what will work for who, but I'm betting that most medications work.

Me? I get seasick, but nothing that knocks me out. I throw up for the first few days, then I'm better and it doesn't come back unless I am away from the sea for some months. Then I gotta start all over.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Please share your best sea sick remedies and preventions. How long does one get sick? Will it happen every trip?

I heard of a no fail device that goes on your wrist like a watch and sends electrical pulses to the 3 nerves in your wrist.
Jay, I got one word for ya.

Drugs!

I had a big problem with ear infections when I was a little guy and I think that led to my lifelong problem with motion sickness.
I have literally tried everything.
In my opinion, Meclizine is the best remedy.

Meclizine consumer information from Drugs.com

It's the active ingredient in some of the more well known brands like Dramamine and Bonine.
One little orange flavored, chewable tablet a day. They only take about an hour to take effect but I usually take one the night before a trip. That way I'm not drowsy the next day.

Without drugs, my symptoms usually don't subside until I've been at sea for at least 5 to 7 days. But I am an extreme case. Most people I know only have to suffer for a few days.
But my philosophy is why suffer at all. There is nothing that ruins a nice sail quicker that seasickness.
I avoid it at all costs.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
helming is the best solution. once you're on the helm, you have a feeling for what the boat is going to do and you are looking at the horizon. never hang out below deck if you're seasick. also: hydrate!
the long, rolling waves are the worst conditions for seasickness, so if thats what you see when you're checking the weather and conditions, avoid it.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
keep watch of the horizon. its all mental stuff and balance.it helps if your a libra!
Yeah right! I'm a Libra and it don't make no difference. Actually, for me, the symptoms subside when I lay on my back and close my eyes.
But I don't have to worry about that because..........

I take the DRUGS!:D

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
helming is the best solution. once you're on the helm, you have a feeling for what the boat is going to do and you are looking at the horizon. never hang out below deck if you're seasick. also: hydrate!
the long, rolling waves are the worst conditions for seasickness, so if thats what you see when you're checking the weather and conditions, avoid it.
Helm. Works every time I get a victim on my boat.... I've also heard that one reason people (pirates?) wore eye patches is to remove sense of visual depth and that worked as a cure.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Don't they say the sure cure for sea sickness is standing under a tree? LOL.

Practical Sailor just published an article giving the results of a reader survey. The most highly rated drug (Stugeron forte) is not available in the US but can be ordered out of Canada. The other downside besides having to order from out of the country is that the product takes longer to work than others and you really need to start the night before departing. Also, be aware that there is a higher dose product for the treatment of blance disorders that is 5 times the recommended dose for seasickness (75mg). Despite this, the product was the most highly recommended among the many by a large margin.

Several of the products available in the US were rated as "effective" unfortunately, they left the user in no condition to stand a watch and those surveyed would not use them again or recommend them. In addition to drowsiness, several other, more worrisome side effects of Scapolamine patches have been discussed here on Sailnet, but according to PS they have the advantage of being effective even after the onset of seasickness which most other products don't.

·
Registered
116 Posts
My husband has used Stugeron 15very effectively with no side effect of drowsines even though the label says it is a side effect.They can be used by children 5 or over as per label.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I have heard the eating ginger works, you can find candy in health food stores that have real ginger in it. It has a bite to it, but not bad. Can't tell you if it actually works. There is also a country store close to where I live that has crystalized ginger, WOW strong stuff, but good. I plan on trying it this sailing season, as I get a little quezzy at times.

Greg

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I'm not very susceptible to sea-sickness, but have had very good results with ginger over the years for my crew and passengers.

You can buy it in a capsule at the health food store.

You can also buy ginger gum at the pharmacy, usually located next to the other sea-sickness remedies.

Nice thing about the ginger is no side effects.

Keep the crew out of the cabin, and let them have the helm as much as possible.

Good luck!

David

·
Registered
295 Posts
I like this line: "first you're afraid you're going to die -- and then you're afraid you're not".
I think once it gets started, there's nothing to bring you back from the brink.
I've looked at the comments about ginger, that electrical device, acupressure points, etc... Nothing foolproof, it seems.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Stugeron is very effective. I don't think starting a day early is really much of a drawback. Then one in the morning and one at night.

Sunny Ville Golden Ginger hard candy is available at Chinese markets and is very good, as are ginger snaps and ginger ale. It quiets

·
Registered
101 Posts
oops

the stomach.

I occassionally get sick but am like Selkirk. The symptoms go away after a little while. Part of it is clearly psychological. I constantly remind sick passengers that it will go away and remind them that seasickness happens to everyone in some way and to some degree. That reassurance works fairly frequently.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
My husband has used Stugeron 15very effectively with no side effect of drowsines even though the label says it is a side effect.They can be used by children 5 or over as per label.
That was pretty much the upshot of the PS article. Most people using the product reported the side effects were tolerable and the drug provided the desired effect.

I don't seem to have problems with sea sickness while on deck or in the cabin for a short while, but would want to take some precautions if I were sailing overnight and expected to sleep underway.

As part of the prep for the Delmarva trip, I'm going to attempt ordering Stugeron from one of the online pharmacies in Canada and see what happens. Hopefully I won't land in a Federal slammer.

I may also ask my Dr. for a scipt for the Scapolimine patches to have on board as well.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Oh.. and... make sure that they aren't coming sailing on an empty stomach...

Feed 'em early....

Empty stomaches makes it worse.

David

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
And insure that they haven't been drinking the night before either...
But with the Mal De Mer Medicine, you should take them about 8 hours before you strike out for sea. This way if there is any drowsiness you can sleep it off and continue to to take the meds as required.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts