SailNet Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,155 Posts
Sure looks like smoke but I always thought of sea smoke as being it being so windy that the tops of waves were being blown off creating a smoky appearance. I thought what you show in the picture as being tendrils of fog. Wonder if I have this wrong?

·
Old soul
4,551 Posts
This is a common sight on Lake Superior, early in the winter when the Lake is cooling off. Relatively warm water is hit with Arctic air settling in for winter.

These were taken from my previous house on the shores of the Big Lake. We used to call it ice fog. I miss real winters…

Attachments

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I once saw a whale spouting at a distance and at first mistook the water vapor for a smoke bomb going off. Before reading it, that’s what I thought this post might be about.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
This is a common sight on Lake Superior, early in the winter when the Lake is cooling off. Relatively warm water is hit with Arctic air settling in for winter.

These were taken from my previous house on the shores of the Big Lake. We used to call it ice fog. I miss real winters…
Love that giant laker hidden in the fog.

·
bell ringer
4,815 Posts
...when 37f air temps mixes with 65+f water temps of the Brunswick River..
that's really from the mixture of the WWTP up from the marina discharging and the air from the paper plant interacting :wink

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I miss real winters…
It takes all kinds... :wink
I love a good winter! They do go on a bit long though; by the end of February I'm ready for spring but still have two months to wait.

This picture was taken in about -25ºF. The fog is rising off a still barely flowing Minnehaha Falls. I was out for a bike ride.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
No pic? And not sure if the subject matter relates to the thread, but no pic.

Mark
I was having trouble loading images. Sorry. CLASSIC early C/S/K catamaran. Famous in multihull circles. Also a cool name.

It sort of relates. But only sort of.

We get sea smoke here as well, on rare occasions. It always make me think of this boat.

https://www.shawnyoung.com/writing/kawika-kapahulehua-images/seasmoke-arness-catamaran-tim-putz-photography-santa-barbara-1200x963-40.jpg

·
Catalina 400 MKII
818 Posts
Here's another take on "Sea Smoke". Taken by my brother & sister-in-law, a few days ago. This is the view on San Francisco Bay, showing the Bay Bridge and San Francisco in the background. The smoke is from the Camp Fire that is still burning in the Paradise area of Northern California. Truly a horrible fire. Even down here in Santa Cruz, at least 100 miles from the fire, the sky is sick brown and smells of smoke.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts