SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Big Chicken Baby
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've switched our approach a bit since this will be boat number 4 that we are putting a contigent offer in on. Since this boat is represented by the same broker as the boat we just passed on, he and the owner are cool with us doing the sea trial first before shelling out for another survey.

If the ARE likes the way this one sails,I think its going to do fine on the survey and we might actually be done looking after only 2 years.

The last survey and sea trial, well I knew going into it that it was going to be a no go before we were done looking at the first time. It was too big for a start but far be it from me to squash a dream- let the surveyor do that.

Details on the boat to follow, again with the fear of jinxing the deal.
I am getting to sail on a bunch of different boats so that's a positive,right? :)

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Good luck Mimsy... :)

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
I am getting to sail on a bunch of different boats so that's a positive,right? :)
Always best to look on the bright side.:)

If this new approach doesn't work out, maybe step back and reassess your priorities. You've learned a lot from these surveys so put the knowledge and experience to good use.

If the ARE is especially difficult to please, you might need to narrow your search to boats that have a solid reputation for quality construction and systems.

Good luck. Fourth times a charm? :)

·
Big Chicken Baby
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well that was anti-climatic.
We got out to the marina, got the boat out and motored off to top off the tanks. Suddenyl the engine started sounding "off", then the temperature gauge started to creep upwards. So we shut her down at the fuel station and called for help. The mechanics came out but unfortunately, the ARE had to be back for a conference call in the afternoon.

They got it all sorted. The strainer was clogged and they had to replace the impeller. All is well as the engine never overheated, smoked, etc. and has very few hours on it so its not like damage was done or that something major was amiss. It sucks though, because the ARE doesn't like the way the boat looks and this is the boat that I want.

Ah well, we shall try again next week I suppose. lol

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Having the engine overheat on you was definitely a sign... :) Oh, well, I guess you better keep looking.

·
Big Chicken Baby
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Deals not off, we now have a negotiating point. We will be writing in a request for a warranty for XX (to be determined) engine hours. As long as the surveyor finds the engine is ok, we can proceed.

The engine ran hot, but did not overheat. We will see how it does when we take it our next week now that it is fixed. If it still overheats, that's a problem. If it is as I suspect that the engine is fine, just needs to be serviced fully then we can proceed.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Well that was anti-climatic.
We got out to the marina, got the boat out and motored off to top off the tanks. Suddenyl the engine started sounding "off", then the temperature gauge started to creep upwards. So we shut her down at the fuel station and called for help. The mechanics came out but unfortunately, the ARE had to be back for a conference call in the afternoon.

They got it all sorted. The strainer was clogged and they had to replace the impeller. All is well as the engine never overheated, smoked, etc. and has very few hours on it so its not like damage was done or that something major was amiss. It sucks though, because the ARE doesn't like the way the boat looks and this is the boat that I want.

Ah well, we shall try again next week I suppose. lol
Mimsy, I hope you get the boat YOU want. The ARE will be happy with it if the admiral is happy.:D Good luck!

·
Big Chicken Baby
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Saildork, I hope so as well. The ARE has a need for speed, I have a need for stability, strength and dependability. We are looking at an Island Packet- the Family Truckster of vessels.

I think it is perfect for where we are right now and what we want to be able to do. In 10 years when the kid is off to school, then it might be time to get a sleek, fasty, fasty boat for the ARE.

The ARE needs to understand that when I was a kid, all my friends were drooling over VW Sciroccos, Trans Ams and Camaros. I on the other hand, lusted after the Volvo 240 wagon. There is beauty in the functionality, or so I keep trying to convince my husband.

·
Somewhat Senior Member
619 Posts
Mimsy,

I'm with capttb... I've enjoyed seeing many IP's sailing the Chesapeake. They're easy to spot from the distinctive hull color and the closing rate as I sail past. :p

Hope you get the boat you love and love the boat you get. Tell ARE to take a deep breath and slow down...afterall, sailing is about the trip-not the arrival.

MGM

·
Big Chicken Baby
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its just so darned hard to find a compromise.
He wants sleek lines, a "proper yacht" look, speed, sloop rigged, in great shape and easy to maintain and sail. I want something that is sturdy, able to get us where we are going, comfortable in weather, with ample storage and tankage and super kid friendly.

In 2 years of looking we have only seriously considered 4 boats. Time is creeping up on us, as we are planning to leave for an extended cruise along the US and Carribean in November. We need time to outfit and take a few shake down trips. It wouldn't be the end of the world to leave in December or January buts its not ideal.

We really do want to keep our search local as time away looking for a boat is money out of the cruising kitty. Since the project the ARE has been on for the past 6 years is finishing up comissioning and he's about to spend a great deal of time offshore, time is running out. Worst case scenario, we charter but that means we have to change our plans and then we have to wonder if its worth it, or just go ahead and move to the UK and buy a boat there. Hate to skip the Carribean though while we have the opportunity.

*Sigh* I hope this one works, but I am doubtful he will be able to get past the "fat pigginess" of the IP. I promised him if we bought this one, we would rename it the Black Pig in honor of Captain Pugwash. So far, he is at least willing to keep the deposit on it.

I am open to boat suggestions at this point. I don't care for Hunters, Benes are lacking in the storage and tankage and I worry how they will do out in the ocean as there is the real possibility of at least one trans-Atlantic crossing in the next year or so. Catalina's are an option, but I hate that the aft cabins have the deck right in your face ( an issue for me) and again, I worry about handling weather.

Our budget is pointing us towards production boats as we really want to stay at 100-150 . We could go up a bit more to 170 but it would really have to hit us both in the sweet spot and bascially need nothing and I have yet to see that something like this exists.

I really wish we were on the East Coast! There are so many great boats available there.

·
19,489 Posts
...Passport 40.... a little bit of something for each of you. Several different layouts are available, so try to see them all to get an idea of which you like...

YachtWorld.com Boats and Yachts for Sale

·
Big Chicken Baby
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Faster, there is a whopping one Passport in our area. A 42 footer, which may hold interest if the IP doesn't work but I really wanted to stay 40 feet and under.

I think the answer might very well be 2 boats- a fat bottomed IP for me and the ARE can run circles around me on a little J boat.

·
Registered
239 Posts
How about a Hans Christian or Pacific Seacraft for a "Yachty Look"? Plenty of storage in either brand. Should find a nice size used one in your price range.

·
19,489 Posts
Faster, there is a... Passport in our area. A 42 footer, .....
Mimsy

The Passport 42 is a VERY different boat.. a different designer (Stan Huntingford) than the 40 (Robert Perry) and the "look" is very different too, so taking a specific look at a 40 to compare is worthwhile. The interior fit and finish should be comparable, but I'd expect the 40 to be a nicer boat to live with, and simply looks "sleeker", esp within the cruising genre.

·
Big Chicken Baby
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The afore mentioned single Passport in our area, no Hans-Christians and only two Pacific Seacrafts, both of which are 34s which is a bit small for us. We were looking in the 35-42 foot range.

I've looked for Tayana's, Pacific Seacrafts, Morgan 383, Pearsons to no avail. If I wanted a Hunter, I would have 200 to choose from at incredibly reasonable prices. Trouble is, they don't do it for me or the ARE.

There just isn't a huge selection in our area. If I end up with a Bene, you will know why. I guess it will be ok for coastal cruising, then we could just sell it when we are done and buy a more permanent boat in the UK.

If we could make the jump to 250k, we could have a really, really nice selection. Of course, then we would have no kitty with which to cruise so hope we enjoy it on the dock.

Can you tell I am getting tired of the hunt? When we bought our house, I toured 65, brought the ARE out to see 20 of which 3 were sufficient to make an offer on. The ARE always found something amiss.I found the perfect house, negotiated a steal of a deal only to have the ARE balk because the insulation did not measure to specs excatly. I threw up my hands and told him I did not care if we stayed in seperate houses, I was done. He showed up at my house 3 days before Christmas with a key to our house- which he now adores and admits I was right because even in this stinko market, we could sell at a huge profit after only 4 years.

He needs to trust me on this boat or learn to windsurf and I'll see him at the hotel. lol

·
Just a Member
272 Posts
In this market, I would look at the higher priced boats (the ones out of your price range) and if you find something you like, offer something within your price range. You never know, they may have had no offers, and are willing to take any offer that comes their way. You hold all the leverage. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts