SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should one expect during the sea trial of a used boat? As a new buyer I want to make sure I don''t miss anything. Other than "normal" operation of winches, windlass, elctronics etc. Do I insist on hoisting all sails, check the stowed inflatable, set out anchor & rode?
Your opinions are welcome.
Bob

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You want to make sure that you check out everything on the boat that you can. Check everything and don''t stop the sea trial until you are satisfied. Its your money....make sure that you are satisfied. If you fail to do "due dilligence" prior to completion of the sale....you will have virtually no recourse and be unhappy with your purchase.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I agree with Rob 100%. Also, some surveyors will shortcut the process...keep that boat out there for a while, test and retest every system you can. Also make sure the boat is ready for survey...which includes topped off batteries, fresh fuel, water (enough to test) and so on. Make mental notes of possible deal breakers and possible negotiating points, if you are handy. Make the survey give you a "fair" estimate of what needs fixing (prevailing prices at local yards...survey should know). Take along a handheld audio recorder and get down every note from everybody onboard..mainly the surveyor.

Example from my recent experience. The boat had been surveyed for two previous potential buyers...one noted a possible tranny problem. My surveyor said it was likely just the folding prop kicking in (which it was). My surveyor didn''t closely go over the pressure water system...save to note it may have some problems (which is usually not a deal breaker). Demand anything "up the mast" be fixed. And listen to the hull/deck tap tests to check for moisture and delam.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts