SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given we use the boat for day sailing and as occasional weekender, we are pleased with our Thetford 365msd portapottie. We find the 5 gal holding tank sufficient and enjoy the simplicity of gravity feed and manual flush system. I know it is considered primitive but it works for us. I also plumbed it to the deck fitting for marina pump out which means we don't have to carry anything around to dump. Pump out works great. So while it is not elegant it works.

The Thetford sits in the same head area where I can see remnants of the original system which appears to me to have been a regular manual flush like a Jabsco. I can see where the direct discharge thru hull has been glassed over so it no longer works. But the intake thru hull is still in place and appears to be an updated bronze seacock like they sell at Buck Algonquin. The valve looks healthy though I have not tested it yet. If I find it is still operational, here is my question. I would like to tap into the seacock and attach a hand sprayer unit that would let us have an occasional as needed power seawater flush of the Thetford bowl. I would only open the seacock when wishing to powerflush the portapottie. But the question is, would the seacock attached to a hand sprayer generate sufficient water pressure to let me power flush the bowl or would that sort of system require some sort of pump? I know when I pull my knot meter head out to clean it that I get a very strong blast of water until I can get the dummy unit in place. This leaves me thinking that opening the seacock and running it to a hand sprayer should produce a pretty strong spray.

I realize there are significant safety concerns as regards flooding but I would look for a sprayer of industrial strength and double clamp it to the seacock. And as I said the seacock would be opened only when desiring to power flush the PP bowl. Good or bad idea?

·
19,484 Posts
The water would only come out of the nozzle when you held it below the waterline... There's no inherent 'pressure' above that.

The reason you have pressure at the knot meter plug is that it's a foot and a half or so below the waterline. It's also a pretty big hole.

In short you'd need a pump. If you have pressure water you're probably best to use that if the flush is only occasional.

·
Administrator
Beneteau 393
9,588 Posts
I listened to stupid forum advice when plumbing my sea water into the galley sink.
People said its unsafe to have an automatic pump on a throug hull because if something goes wrong the pump will keep pumping water in.

So I installed a manual button I have to keep pressed. Sometime I will put ina normal faucet and rip the manual switch out.

A Jabsco 50psi preassure pump is about $200 so it may not be your solution! Plus the water for a shower will be cold.
What I have is one of those plastic bag solar showers. They are excellent! It sits on deck and the nozel comes through the head window. Filled in the morning my hottest shower time is about 2:30pm.

You can use it for fresh water when available or salt when necessary. You could use it for your head but it wont be pressurized just gravity fed. Best thing is its only about $25. For weekends away a 2.5 gallon one Should last four short showers. The 5 gal one is bigger but i dont know if it heats as quickly.

Another option instead of an electric pump is one of those whale foot pumps. There is a Chinese knock off brand thats very cheap. Whale Marine - Products

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ha! Thanks for the heads-up on needing to be below water line. That makes perfect sense now that I have heard it. Sounds like a pump may be in my future. Will probably pressurize the whole system and run a line to the head.

Also the suggestions for alternative ways to shower are helpful. Thanks folks.

·
Master Mariner
9,417 Posts
You can pick up a 12 volt bait well pump for way under a c-note and it should do just fine for your needs, but it needs to be mounted below the waterline.
The same probably would have worked well for Mark, too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.